• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    How can they open / rewrite the code?
    just like amd

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Eh, I've posted this several times, but it fell of deaf ears. Drivers are not open sourced, they are rewritten under an open source license
      you've posted shit several times, it is still shit. some drivers are opensourced, some are written in open manner from the start, sometimes you can release docs and other people will write drivers. nvidia is the only x86 gpu vendor who does nothing of that, but nvidiots still happily eat shit

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
        I think there are a lot of licenses, patents, etc. in the Nvidia's driver. How can they open / rewrite the code?
        Precisely because they have patents, they could open the code and have absolutely zero fear that any other company would use their proprietary technology. If any corporation was so bold as to do so, they could sue them.

IMO, the fear that any code would be re-used by the competition is ridiculous, since writing your own from scratch is a lot cheaper and faster than trying to re-adapt other peoples code to work with your equipment.

All that said, and as much as I personally avoid nVidia products when I can, I can't help but feel this is much more of a wayland than nVidia fault. There is a reason X has worked for so long, and I'm really not convinced that wayland is the correct path. Having bits and blobs all over the place isn't really a problem, IMO. It's called being modular. Having everything go through a single stack makes sense when you only have a single unified hardware interface, predictable and standardized. But if you deviate just a little bit from the plan, everything goes crazy.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I like modular solutions. Because once you lock-into something like wayland, you can't lock-out.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          The vast majority of the users are adopting Wayland through the GNOME stack anyway. What is the problem?
          The problem is that people like myself who use an nVidia GPU do not have the option of using Wayland. On top of that, there isn't yet any decent laptops with AMD GPUs to switch to.

Comment

I'd rather have functional VDPAU, but I guess it's a lost cause at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The problem is that people like myself who use an nVidia GPU do not have the option of using Wayland. On top of that, there isn't yet any decent laptops with AMD GPUs to switch to.
              ASUS has one https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

So does the Alienware 17 http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...p/dkcwkblg0722

also you can find many cheaper laptops with the low end AMD GPU's

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Nvidia has advanced engineers. We know that gnome3 and wayland are garbage.
                Agreed, gnome 3 is shit. IDK abt wayland though

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  Precisely because they have patents, they could open the code and have absolutely zero fear that any other company would use their proprietary technology. If any corporation was so bold as to do so, they could sue them.
                  I don't think Chinese companies take that stuff too serious though. Also, nvidia may have stuff in their driver that's licensed from third parties.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                    The vast majority of the users are adopting Wayland through the GNOME stack anyway. What is the problem?
                    Missing glx on xwayland running with nv blob driver.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Tell that all the thousands of people who've been waiting for months to purchase an AMD card, just to find none or at ridiculous prices.
                      I can find cards at MSRP for the vega series in Stock in my country easily and that's how I purchased mine.
                      RX580,570, GTX1060,GTX1070 is impossible however.

Comment

Working...
                      X