Wine Staging 2.17 Released With More Direct3D 11 Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Even though Doom is programmed to use compat profiles, it doesn't actually. You can use an override and it will work.
    How? If I do the usual MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.3COMPAT, the game doesn't even start. It sort of works with Vulkan, but the textures are messed up (both on RADV and AMDGPU-PRO).

Probably the only reason why DOOM requires a compatibility profile context is that it uses GLEW, which at the time was probably the worst and most horribly outdated OpenGL loader available. AFAIK it relies on glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS), which isn't part of the core profile.
    Last edited by VikingGe; 22 September 2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      How? If I do the usual MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.3COMPAT, the game doesn't even start. It sort of works with Vulkan, but the textures are messed up (both on RADV and AMDGPU-PRO).

Probably the only reason why DOOM requires a compatibility profile context is that it uses GLEW, which at the time was probably the worst and most horribly outdated OpenGL loader available. AFAIK it relies on glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS), which isn't part of the core profile.
      What version of wine-staging are you using? You do need at least wine-staging 2.12. They patched it at that version so that it would work with the override.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        What version of wine-staging are you using?
        I've tested that already with several versions, including the current wine-staging 2.17. All I get is the usual window complaining that wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Remember what I told you? Test this with a AMD graphics card using Padoka PPA, cause I guarantee it won't work.
        Runs fine on my RX 480, not sure what you're talking about.
        Last edited by VikingGe; 22 September 2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

Hi-Angel point you in the right direction: try wine-staging
          Who doesn't use Wine-Staging? Everyone uses Wine-Staging. I use Wine-Staging.

Comment

Also just bought Dying Light and it won't even start on my machine. And yea, it's the same problem.

@Modlin_Techland Hi, I am a comitter of the Linux mesa OpenGL stack. We were able to pin down the issue as to why Dying Light do not work with the opensource AMD drivers in mesa (or any mesa driver for that matter). The situtation is two fold, first the game requires fixed-pipeline stuff in a GL4.5 context however we could workaround that (although you should still fix it).

Comment

It's okay they implement newer DirectX versions, they are lagging one version behind and need to catch up to the latest one. They need to accelerate development.

But what about applications? Sincerely, their appdb is a complete disaster and their bugtracker is full of outdated and duplicated issues.

What about making Wine Staging an official branch?

What about a more transparent development process?

What about switching to GitHub? It's okay it's becoming a monopoly, but there's lots more possibilities there for people to submit bugs and make pull requests. These days Wine seems too corporativized by Codeweavers, despite I appreciate the company managed to get profit and hire Wine developers.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                What about making Wine Staging an official branch?
                What do you mean? They use a single bugtracker. I don't know what else could be done.

What about a more transparent development process?
                They're using mailing list, writing down the changes each release. How is that not being transparent?

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                  What do you mean? They use a single bugtracker. I don't know what else could be done.
                  The bugtracker is a trash can, lots of repeated issues and total lack of testing and following them on newer versions. I'm sure they have a private bugtracker at CodeWeavers, that's why it's so unmaintained.

I wrote about certain bugs and nobody from the team replied them. I don't see an organized team of testers or at least they aren't so organized or focused on very specific kind of software like videogames.

I'm more interested in "productivity" software, including CAD and CAE but not excluding others. My list is big.

I also will need to use Visual Studio for Windows, I wonder if it can be made to run in Wine and not need a VM for it.

I'm sure they need to follow the priorities marked by the planning their employers, but I guess most of them work for CodeWeavers.

They're using mailing list, writing down the changes each release. How is that not being transparent?
                  It's okay they use a mailing list, despite it's becoming an obsolete communication way.

I would prefer they adopt GitHub or GitLab+GitHub, it's a lot more user friendly and integrated. Their issues trackers are far less sophisticated and would be nice to include more features, but it's a lot more usable in a very considerable way due to it's simplicity and design (I agree it should be more powerful while having good design, but I found other issue trackers a lot more messy to use it (for users reporting issues) and that includes Bugzilla and MantisDB. An automated or half-automated issue reporting system would be interesting to have, but the reports being able to be viewed in the bugtracker and give more info if necessary.

Comment

I wrote about certain bugs and nobody from the team replied them. I don't see an organized team of testers or at least they aren't so organized or focused on very specific kind of software like videogames.
                    To me it rather looks like a lack of developers. Upon new Wine (not staging though) releases I often, out of curiosity, read the changelog. And in particular I do often follow links to some of fixed bugreports (their titles sometimes make me curious what was broken, what did they find). And, when bugs wasn't closed by accident, like "hey, it works in the newer version! — nice, closing as fixed", the developer's side of discussions is pretty active. However I do always see the same 1-2 names of them. And, by looking list of commits you can't say devs ain't do anything — half the commits is a fix to potential bug.

So I am inclined to think it's a lack of developers.

Comment

To me it rather looks like a lack of developers. Upon new Wine (not staging though) releases I often, out of curiosity, read the changelog. And in particular I do often follow links to some of fixed bugreports (their titles sometimes make me curious what was broken, what did they find). And, when bugs wasn't closed by accident, like "hey, it works in the newer version! — nice, closing as fixed", the developer's side of discussions is pretty active. However I do always see the same 1-2 names of them. And, by looking list of commits you can't say devs ain't do anything — half the commits is a fix to potential bug.

So I am inclined to think it's a lack of developers.
                      That's sad if it's true, really. I also see their bugtracker is awful. What about migrating to GitLab?

Comment

Working...
                      X