Mir 1.0 Still Planned For Ubuntu 17.10, Wayland Support Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    But, AFAIK, that's the idea behind libweston...
    If you keep in mind that it's Canonical here, then it's pretty normal.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Ability to combine collaboration and vendor lock-in? My, these guys truly have done the homework given by their master Microsoft
      fixed.

Comment

No, it's not. Weston has been defined since the very beginning as being a reference implementation.

Comment

The idea behind Weston is that it's a free reference implementation of a very simple and basic desktop display server built using the Wayland protocol.

If I were trying to build a lawn tractor with an infotainment console (because the free-spending leisure classes have too little to do) I wouldn't want to hire a programmer or programmers to spend time porting that codebase to my embedded system and add all the customization required, including all the systems integration, installation, distribution, and OTA updates required, and then keep them on retainer for a few decades while the product is under maintenance (my lawn tractor is over 10 years old and still cutting). If I were such a business and looking to be profitable, I would look for a turnkey system from some vendor who carries enough liability insurance so that when the infotainment system is hacked and the tractor turned into a remote death machine, I can cover my ass(ets).

Why would a lawn tractor manufacturer even care about some Weston project if they can buy a solution from the same people who make the software used by the geeks in the back office when they're setting up the internet cloud cost centres for the Sales and Marketing departments?

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
            If I were trying to build a lawn tractor with an infotainment console (because the free-spending leisure classes have too little to do) I wouldn't want to hire a programmer or programmers to spend time porting that codebase to my embedded system and add all the customization required, including all the systems integration, installation, distribution, and OTA updates required, and then keep them on retainer for a few decades while the product is under maintenance (my lawn tractor is over 10 years old and still cutting). If I were such a business and looking to be profitable, I would look for a turnkey system from some vendor who carries enough liability insurance so that when the infotainment system is hacked and the tractor turned into a remote death machine, I can cover my ass(ets).

Why would a lawn tractor manufacturer even care about some Weston project if they can buy a solution from the same people who make the software used by the geeks in the back office when they're setting up the internet cloud cost centres for the Sales and Marketing departments?
            One word: Android.

You just need to add a couple apps, change the theme and it's done.

And it also usually comes ready in the SoC manufacturer's SDK too, on the contrary of Ubuntu's new respin of their beating a dead horse.

That said, yes, Weston is not as fully-featured as Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              One word: Android.

You just need to add a couple apps, change the theme and it's done.

And it also usually comes ready in the SoC manufacturer's SDK too, on the contrary of Ubuntu's new respin of their beating a dead horse.

That said, yes, Weston is not as fully-featured as Mir.
              Ubuntu Core is better than Android for some things and more secure as well, it is actually used in real life products as well, deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                Ubuntu Core is better than Android for some things and more secure as well, it is actually used in real life products as well, deal with it.
                I'm just pointing out that there is a quite big elephant in the room too (Android), and that some (most) of Ubuntu/Mir features aren't that hot to begin with in the embedded market (like security and updates). Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  No, it's not. Weston has been defined since the very beginning as being a reference implementation.
                  I didn't say "weston", I said "libweston". AFAIK, the idea behind libweston is to encapsulate in a single library all the code from weston that could be useful for creating wayland compositors, allowing people to create one with much less code.

Comment

Working...
                  X