Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Formally Rolls Out Pipewire For Being The "Video Equivalent of PulseAudio"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    It is true that those particular projects are are known to be incredibly buggy and also anticompetitive bordering on antitrust. But that's anecdotal at best. There are really incredibly selfish people in this world, there always will be and so you can always expect anticompetitive buggy crap at all times. It would be stupid to not expect it.
    ?!?!
    Dafuk was anticompetitive (lack of serious competitors is another thing), and wtf is the antitrust supposed to do on a free software project that is supported by voluntary choice of distros?

Someone must have a very thick tin foil headgear and tin foil full-body armor here.

Comment

ChristianSchaller it might suite some people but personally i won't use pulsevideo.
      Can i opt it out in fedora 27?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        ChristianSchaller it might suite some people but personally i won't use pulsevideo.
        Can i opt it out in fedora 27?
        Well you can de-install pipewire, but then the services it provides will not work, so you get a partially broken system. Its kinda like opting out of using dnf. Yes you can do it, but then how do you get your updates? We don't add stuff to the operating system for a laugh, we pick and develop them because they solve or help solve challenges we need to solve.

Comment

please add support for disable gstreamer build requeriment (my hack is hacky)

Comment

If pipewire is meant to be useful, I sure hope it is nothing like pulseaudio. On every system that I need audio to work at, pulseaudio is the first component I remove, using ALSA directly, instead.

When pulseaudio was introduced as a default component of RedHat Linux (so certainly well beyond the stage that one could consider pulseaudio "just an experimental beta") I tried very hard to make my setup workable with pulseaudio - but even spending hours of trying a multitude of configurations did not yield me a solution to my simple requirement "User A to use audio device X, while user B uses audio device Y on the same computer at the same time". This is a requirement I could solve using ALSA directly within minutes. For pulseaudio, I only got frustrated with seemingly non-deterministic behaviour, things "just not working without any useful error message", applications just stopping for user A when user B did something with a completely different device, and the documentation of pulseaudio was outright catastrophic.

To me pulseaudio appears to have been crafted by someone who only thinks of single-user systems for dumb people who cannot be trusted with any technical feed-back or instructions on how to configure things. If I wanted that, I would run Windows.

I sure hope pipewire does not attempt to become a "video equivalent" of the mess that pulseaudio is for audio.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Great, more garbage software from a developing country.
              Classic! At least your bigotry isn't confined to distributions and window managers ...

Comment

If it makes that garbage more like Windows, it's a step foward.

Comment

Great, more garbage software from a developing country.
                  Classic! At least your bigotry isn't confined to distributions and window managers ...
                  If it's by hat red it's definitely not from a developing country. Unless you count USA's state of virginia as a developing country. I'm sure it will great with time just like pulseaudio. Personally, I will just stick to other solutions. I am sure (someone) will find a excellent use for it though.
                  Last edited by notanoob; 19 September 2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Awesome. I hope it breaks everything for PulseAudio haters, and is as unremovable as possible, so that it forces them to switch to BSD or Windows, so they'll stop poisoning our community.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                      ^^
                      What community would that be?

Comment

Working...
                      X