Librem 5 Crosses $400k In Funding After Plasma Mobile Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

Would pay money for pictures of you making a phone call with this while walking.
    Would be an even funnier picture with it all strapped to my bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Someone's not familiar with the inspect tool

They're using this thing: https://woocommerce.com/
      It's a WordPress plug-in.
      Nope, I was not. Still doesn't invite confidence. Why didn't they just put up a 'Please vote if you'd buy this' if they won't charge you anyhow?

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        enlightenment? I don't see xfce/lxde anywhere near mobiles.
        EFL is already used in Tizen, if I recall, and some of the Samsung refrigerators or some such.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          An endorsement of plasma mobile is no commitment.
          Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but since this will essentially be Linux, you'll be able to install whatever you want, so... yes, a firm commitment would be better, because it would mean they'd be testing it.
          But if this project actually goes forward, i think that the KDE devs will have all interest of supporting this device...

Comment

Move along, people. Nothing to see here.
            Mark Shuttleworth already killed this project with his $32M crowd-funded, sapphire-screened, designed-to-fail-from-the-very-beginning debacle of several years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              So I'm kind of confused here... are they doing their OWN crowdfunding? Doesn't seem to be through kickstarter or anything, but their own page...
              Saves them paying 10% to kickstarter in fees. Allows them to take bitcoins. Lets them use the payment/shop infrastructure that they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

The drivers are the most critical issue. Fix that and everything is possible.
                Agreed. And i also think they're picking open source friendly hardware... i think, maybe...

Comment

Librem 5 Crosses *$500k* In Funding After Plasma Mobile Announcement

Comment

I really wish them success with that project. But I just find it a weard offering. Most of the freedom loving customers will likely be geeks so why market it to apple and samsung users with basicly similar device just with less apps.

I understand that its a bit difficult to support a hardware keyboard like blackberry does, cause normaly you have to support then different hardware keyboard layouts. But for this geeky customers I think a general hardware layout that is programmable would be good enough, so they would not need to support 50 different layouts.

The other way such project could be interesting would be convergence on another level with a aproach like the EOMA68,

An Earth-friendly way to easily upgrade and fix your own computer

that would widen the audience more.

Its a bit like with the librem, where they pushed for nvidia Hardware first, while libre loving people hate that company, they seem no not have a good picture of their goal target, well even with the poll before.
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 20 September 2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Librem 5 Crosses *$800k* In Funding After Plasma Mobile Announcement

Comment

Working...
                      X