No announcement yet.

Mozilla's Push For Super Fast CSS With Quantum/Stylo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 57 nightly seems really cool. I like it. It's cool and fast and seems light and great.
    It's just that it doesn't have support for Adblock Plus and NoScript.

Also, now that Ubuntu daily uses Wayland by default, I would really like Wayland support.
    Also there is no client-side decorations (CSD) on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Firefox 57 nightly seems really cool. I like it. It's cool and fast and seems light and great.
      It's just that it doesn't have support for Adblock Plus and NoScript.

Also, now that Ubuntu daily uses Wayland by default, I would really like Wayland support.
      Also there is no client-side decorations (CSD) on Linux.
      I strongly recommend migrating to uBlock Origin, which has a working web-extension already (you can install it from the beta channel on the addon page).

I think NoScript has an almost-working web-extension port. From reading the changelog, the next iteration will be an embedded web-extension (many do this to migrate the necessary data/configs from the old framework to the new one). The version following that should be the proper web-extension.

As for Wayland and CSD, yes, we know, I'm eagerly waiting for this as well. It's being worked on though.

Comment

Which version will start censoring sites that Mozilla does not like?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          It feels much faster with Servo enabled, I think they are on the right track... Exciting, a step a lot of users are expecting from Firefox since years to make rendering faster. The Webrender engine written in Rust is not stable yet, on AMD it works quite well, on Intel is quite buggy. If they enable/merge Wayland now for testing, I would be happy :-)
          If you want to use Firefox on Wayland with native wayland support, there is a copr repository for fedora where you can install firefox-wayland:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...refox-wayland/

Once installed you can enable Servo by going to address bar and entering about:config, then search for layout.css.servo.enabled and turn it from false to true & restart the browser

Correct me if I am wrong on any of this

It still feels very buggy to me

Comment

I still use Firefox (and Seamonkey) primarily. My only worry is: if in their quest to catch up with Chrome, Mozilla sheds the only thing that made them special (extensions), will there be an ongoing reason to stick with Firefox?
            Personally, I have a few more reasons to do that, but what will a layman think?

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              That feature was added long ago. Firefox just like Chrome has blacklists of bad sites it prevents access to. It's usually done for known infected sites, but you never know what the future will bring you.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I still use Firefox (and Seamonkey) primarily. My only worry is: if in their quest to catch up with Chrome, Mozilla sheds the only thing that made them special (extensions), will there be an ongoing reason to stick with Firefox?
                Personally, I have a few more reasons to do that, but what will a layman think?
                They already made it clear that their goal is to become compatible with Chrome extensions while adding more features to the webextension API that Chrome does not (and probably won't) add, like for example for NoScript (one of their flagship extensions, they worked together to add more stuff to let it do its job as a webextension too).

So basically the plan is pulling an EEE on Chrome.

Currently there is some shit hitting the fan on the developer side because this transition was not smooth/slow enough (they pushed webextensions + electrolysis + other stuff) and some extension devs feel kicked in the face or uncertain about the future because they now need to convince Mozilla devs to add new webextension APIs in Firefox for their extensions to keep working as they did before.

IMHO it was handled badly and there will be some losses (DownThemAll seems to be among the extensions that won't be ported), but the rush is needed to close the gap with Chrome asap.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I strongly recommend migrating to uBlock Origin, which has a working web-extension already (you can install it from the beta channel on the addon page).
                  I will never never never use uBlock Origin. I just can't stand it. ABP is what I have used for many years, and I will continue to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                    That change should be merged in time for FF58.r.
                    It's like Mozilla nowadays, is not building a browser for the users, they are building a browser for themselves and hoping that the users like what they are given.
                    We no longer control Mozilla, now Mozilla is trying to control US.

It all started with Australis in FF29, now we are so deep down that rabbit hole, of Mozilla getting rid of everything they do not like, to replace it with a version that does not *actually* work any better, if someone wants a better browser, we need to fork FF28 and start over from there, hopefully not repeating the same mistakes that Mozilla has made.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post

I will never never never use uBlock Origin. I just can't stand it. ABP is what I have used for many years, and I will continue to use it.
                      Sounds good. It was only a recommendation. Then, to each their own.

Comment

Working...
                      X