Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you maybe thinking of Phenom ?

Zen can execute two AVX 256 instructions per clock AFAIK, with the exception of FMA where it is executes one AVX 256 per clock.
    I believe Intel does have an advantage with AVX512, but only one of the benchmarks I've seen here (on Phoronix) clearly demonstrate it.

(If anybody remembers Larrabee)

Comment

Only on the 7900X AFAIK - my impression was that the 7800X and 7820X supported AVX-512 instructions but didn't have any more FPU hardware than previous parts. Earlier parts don't support AVX-512 at all, with the exception of Knights Landing, and that goes up against Hawaii - GCN has had 512-bit VALUs since 2011.
      Last edited by bridgman; 21 August 2017, 07:03 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Only on the 7900X AFAIK - my impression was that the 7800X and 7820X supported AVX-512 instructions but didn't have any more FPU hardware than previous parts. Earlier parts don't support AVX-512 at all, with the exception of Knights Landing, and that goes up against Hawaii - GCN has had 512-bit VALUs since 2011.
        Also some of the (non-Phi) Xeons are now on AVX-512 like the Xeon Golds I've been testing
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          So best to skip the entire 8th generation laptops and wait for the 9th generation Cannon Lake unless you can wait for the 10th generation Ice Lake.
          I've got news for you, Cannon Lake is also going to be called 8th gen... (at least anandtech says so).
          Do I think intel is crazy there? Hell yes.
          But marketing couldn't care less what makes sense from a technical point of view...
          But as long as they don't suddenly start to reuse the same cpu designations making them nearly indistinguishable before you buy (I'm looking at you amd and nvidia...) I'm not going to complain too much.
          Last edited by mczak; 21 August 2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            ^ fixed. Trump tells it like it is, keeps it real.
            FYI: Trump and "real" are on two different universes. He is great at propaganda tho.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              If that's a deal breaker, then you won't buy CPUs any longer, since AMD also has PSP.
              I'm fully aware that Intel and AMD are the most popular CPU vendors, but may I remind you that there are other, smaller vendors who might not include anything like PSP?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Wow. I'm so glad I'm not part of this discussion. WCCFTech AMD rabies disease has been steadily infecting all other forums. People no longer argue about the merits of products, they either hate or worship companies. The collective intelligence has taken quite a hit.

Last but not least, AMD hasn't done something extraordinary. They finally admitted that K10/Bulldozer was a complete failure and started afresh. And they are still 5-20% worse in terms of IPC. And ZEN doesn't natively support AVX 256 bit instructions.
                Even the architecure that AMD admited that was a complete failure and that got it's ass handed to it when it launched, today beats the competion that it lost to at the time... funny isn't it?
                Time has proven, yet again, that AMD's architecure was the right way forward. but since it was easier/more profitable for intel to improve IPC, and easier for developers also...
                That's how we went through 10 years with dual core processors.

So i stand by what i said.
                Intel is a cancer of this industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm fully aware that Intel and AMD are the most popular CPU vendors, but may I remind you that there are other, smaller vendors who might not include anything like PSP?
                  x86 manufacturers? Name one.
                  And if you're thinking ARM, that's even more locked down than x86.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No. There will be proper 8th gen chips, but they'll be put under the same 8xxx moniker as these.
                    Similar to how Haswell refresh were sold with 5xxx number, and Broadwell refresh were sold with 6xxx numbers. Intel have a long history of bumbing the generation number for the additional core late comers. It just used to be only desktop enthuisiast chips this happened with.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Similar to how Haswell refresh were sold with 5xxx number, and Broadwell refresh were sold with 6xxx numbers. Intel have a long history of bumbing the generation number for the additional core late comers. It just used to be only desktop enthuisiast chips this happened with.
                      Those weren't refreshes, those were HEDT chips. And they've been that way since day 1. I'm still not too fond of the practice, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X