Oracle Is Looking To Offload Java EE To A New Steward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

They also develop the Java libraries which directly is beneficial to the other JVM languages. The later versions of Java std libraries are pretty good. They're also pretty up to date with all stuff now. It's one of the best platforms at the moment, along with Javascript/Browser, CLR/Mono, gcc/llvm+posix, and GHC Haskell.
    Agreed, Java is going to be relevant for quite a while (with the unexpected boon of IoT being such a good match). This was all about JavaEE though.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Agreed, Java is going to be relevant for quite a while (with the unexpected boon of IoT being such a good match). This was all about JavaEE though.
      caligula was agreeing with me, and I was replying to comments by wizard69 like:

"Well Sparc was dying so that made sense, they switched to Linux fo rate most part so Solaris is just baggage, Star Office is likely better off in the hands of the open source community and frankly Java stinks."

"Maybe Oracles approach isn't perfect but they could just as easily have dropped Java, gave the custormers a year or tow to adjust, washed their hands afterwards. It is actually a bit shocking to see them (Oracle) taking this approach rather than to let the technology completely die."

"Java can and should go the way of languages like BASIC, COBOL and a whole host of others that are most memories these days."

So he (or she) didn't seem to be discussing Java EE, but Java in general and declaring it dying or dead. It may be hated, but it's still wildly popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

caligula was agreeing with me, and I was replying to comments by wizard69 like:

"Well Sparc was dying so that made sense, they switched to Linux fo rate most part so Solaris is just baggage, Star Office is likely better off in the hands of the open source community and frankly Java stinks."

"Maybe Oracles approach isn't perfect but they could just as easily have dropped Java, gave the custormers a year or tow to adjust, washed their hands afterwards. It is actually a bit shocking to see them (Oracle) taking this approach rather than to let the technology completely die."

"Java can and should go the way of languages like BASIC, COBOL and a whole host of others that are most memories these days."

So he (or she) didn't seem to be discussing Java EE, but Java in general and declaring it dying or dead. It may be hated, but it's still wildly popular.
        Fair enough. I was just referring to the title pf the article. Now we got things straight

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Oh interesting, I had no idea the others took over. Is it because of Oracle?
          Probably in part... the Oracle association certainly hurt MySQL, allowing it to stagnate.

But I think it's also reflecting a change in the market. MySQL was long popular for stuff like CMS backends, because it was relatively fast and light and easy to set up - but there's been more of a drift there to more document-oriented no-SQL databases. And for the use-cases which still favour traditional SQL relational databases, PostgreSQL has taken over a larger share of that market - it was always the more sophisticated of the two, but these days it's good enough to compete with Oracle for the low-end of the enterprise space (Oracle continues to rule the high-end, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Well Sparc was dying so that made sense, they switched to Linux fo rate most part so Solaris is just baggage, Star Office is likely better off in the hands of the open source community and frankly Java stinks. So maybe Oracle isn't evil but rather just smart about business.
            SPARC died because Oracle stopped investing in it, Solaris became baggage rather than an asset for similar reasons, StarOffice could have competed with MS Office if Oracle had a clue as how to sell it properly and Java EE definitely has it's uses even if it's development has become rather misguided over the last decade.

I really think you have need of an attitude adjustment. After years of the open source world crying about the evils of MS and Oracle we actually are seeing the companies contribute to the open source world. Maybe Oracles approach isn't perfect but they could just as easily have dropped Java, gave the custormers a year or tow to adjust, washed their hands afterwards. It is actually a bit shocking to see them (Oracle) taking this approach rather than to let the technology completely die.
            My problem with these companies starting to use open source is less about them contributing to open source and more open source contributing to them. Knowing Microsoft and the license CLANG/LLVM uses it's pretty clear that they're going to fork it similarly to how Google forked WebKit to create Blink, but they're not going to open source their fork and instead just continue selling their closed source Visual Studio suite and (closed source) peripheral products.

As for Oracle, they make their money on selling their closed source peripheral products, not Java or JavaEE themselves. All that matters to them is that Java and JavaEE continue development as that would kill interest in their peripheral products and by offloading the development of those products to the open source community they've ensured just that. It's a very smart business move when you think about it, but I sincerely hope that the open source community doesn't take over development and Oracle has to continue putting in the same amount of investment as before to maintain interest in their peripheral products.

The real concern here isn't so much what is happening with Java, but rather Oracles direction in the future. Is Java dead there and do they have intentions to adopt new tech, RUST, Swift, Go or something else. Or maybe it isn't dead and they just realize that the platform is mature enough for a standards organization to Shepard from now on.
            I'm pretty sure there's just so much proprietary software that's been built in Java that the language is essentially the next Cobol and that even if development stopped dead tomorrow there would still be a market for Oracle's Java products and expertise for at least the next 30 years. You can quit dreaming about Java actually being replaced by anything else in any kind of scale because that's just not going to happen even if Oracle actively tried to make that happen.

The negativity here just doesn't make sense.
            Maybe not for someone as naive as you are, but those of us who have seen big companies like these abuse open source code/projects for their own gain without contributing anything back aren't just going to sing these companies' praises until they actually start contributing back in a significant way.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 21 August 2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I hope this results in a similar setup as OpenJDK and OracleJDK but for Java EE so there will be a free version distros can happily package

Comment

Working...
              X