Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands On With The Tyan Thunder GT24EB7106; Building The Kernel In Under 30 Seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands On With The Tyan Thunder GT24EB7106; Building The Kernel In Under 30 Seconds

Phoronix: Hands On With The Tyan Thunder GT24EB7106; Building The Kernel In Under 30 Seconds

The Tyan Thunder CX GT24EB7106 paired with Intel's new Xeon Scalable processors can offer pretty thunderous performance. This server has just arrived at Phoronix for testing and so far is certainly showing off its potential when loading it with dual 20c/40t CPUs (80 threads combined) and 96GB of DDR4-2666 memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be interesting to see if AVX-512 makes much of a difference, can you try some -march=native tests with -mno-avx512f -mno-avx512pf -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512cd -mno-avx512vl -mno-avx512bw -mno-avx512dq -mno-avx512ifma -mno-avx512vbmi added to disable the avx512 stuff

Yes it's annoying you need 9 flags where a -mno-avx512 would have been much easier
    Last edited by FireBurn; 18 August 2017, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Compile webkitgtk or chromium... they're both a nightmare to compile on regular pc.

Comment

Nice but can it run crysis?

Comment

Looks like fun Michael! Why do you get all the best toys? I get to play with the new 4.13.rc5-1.1 kernel today on an aging i3 Samsung laptop - can't wait to see if everything is working. openSUSE Kernel:HEAD project is doing a good job of tracking the latest release candidates for use in Tumbleweed.

Comment

Performance of this system 2x(20c/40t CPUs) is pretty impressive, but the price also, 2 X $2600 USD only CPUs

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
              Performance of this system 2x(20c/40t CPUs) is pretty impressive, but the price also, 2 X $2600 USD only CPUs
              I'm sure Apple will sell you something in that price range having about half the HP.
              But yes, this is expensive gear. Michael, would you mind running some of those mindless "my stuff meets bullet/pavement/other hazardous stuff" scenarios on these components?

Comment

This thing is garbage, it can't even beat a 7700K at $favourite_game

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I'm sure Apple will sell you something in that price range having about half the HP.
                  Joke's on you - Apple doesn't sell their Xserve series anymore lol. That being said, you could probably buy a Mac Pro for the same price for 1/4 the power.

Comment

Hey Michael,

would you mind running a Nightly build of Firefox on this? Would be curious to know how long that takes.
                    I know the mach build infrastructure isn't exactly the fastest.

Comment

Working...
                    X