Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frosth View Post
    [Did you say "DAL" pretty boy? I've got you
    Don't get me wrong I understand that some people has problem with names, but as long as i can understand what you are talking about that's fine for me. You can even call it "It_will_be_when_it_will_be-component formerly known as DAL/DC"
    Greetings for AMD team for good work.
    Seriously, I doubt anyone cares about the name any more, although it seemed like a sore point for people at the start. It was just a running joke for a while, like one of those "tree falls in a forest" jokes...

... "what do you call a chunk of code named after its abstraction layer after the abstraction layer has been removed ?".
    Test signature

Comment

I don't know bridgeman, what do you call a chunk of code named after its abstraction layer after the abstraction layer has been removed ?
      Haha...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I was really hoping DC was going to be in that pull request today :'(
        There still some time to pull it. It is possible to pull it till 4.13rc6 will be released to have non-zero chance to merge. Maybe 5 seconds before rc6 release is enough.

Comment

This code drop for DC is an enormous untertaking, and not in any way equivalent to backporting support for RX480/580 to the 4.4 kernel so people could run those GPU's in opensuse 42.3.

But.... do you (bridgeman?) think that there is enough preparatory work happening for 4.14 that it is feasible that a full Vega open-source stack might be backported to 4.14, even if it initially arrives only with 4.15?

It seems like a valuable question to ask, as both Ubuntu and Suse have new LTS releases arriving in April 2018 which will be using kernel 4.14 for the [long] term, i.e. probably four years!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            ... "what do you call a chunk of code named after its abstraction layer after the abstraction layer has been removed ?".
            An unabstracted abstraction layer?

Comment

DeAbstractionLayer so it's DAL again

Comment

Would be nice if AMD had a new name for the DAL/DC codebase rather than just telling people not to call it DAL or DC anymore. Having to write "The AMD display codebase previously known as DAL/DC" feels like having to write one of those ridiculous 30+ character long names the Germans use for their laws, official titles and ngovernment organizations.

Offtopic: Seriously, what's up with Germans and binding together these massive names for things that can be over 50 characters in a single word? The Finnish language also allows for the construction of these word abominations, but we rarely string together more than two words so we don't end up with laws called "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenüber tragungsgesetz".

Edit: That name is so long Phoronix keeps adding spaces to it without asking. Even the website code seems to hate these German names (the name in question is for the name for a law on testing beef).
                Last edited by L_A_G; 17 August 2017, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

You do realize that names for things can be more than a single word? You really don't lose any information when you use a whole sentence or two to describe something rather than a single word as long as a sentence. Anyone who speaks English knows that English also allows for compounding words, just that English doesn't allow compounded words that are as long as a whole sentence.

Seriously, all writing single words as long as a sentence rather than an actual sentence does is make it more tedious to read. You really don't lose any information when you call something an "armored personnel carrier" rather than "Mannschaftstransportwagen".
                  Last edited by L_A_G; 17 August 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    Would be nice if AMD had a new name for the DAL/DC codebase rather than just telling people not to call it DAL or DC anymore. Having to write "The AMD display codebase previously known as DAL/DC" feels like having to write one of those ridiculous 30+ character long names the Germans use for their laws, official titles and ngovernment organizations.
                    As I said earlier, there were real concerns raised at the start about naming but now the "name change" is more of an occasional running joke complete with smiley emoticon.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    Offtopic: Seriously, what's up with Germans and binding together these massive names for things that can be over 50 characters in a single word? The Finnish language also allows for the construction of these word abominations, but we rarely string together more than two words so we don't end up with laws called "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgaben über tragungsgesetz".
                    A long time ago I was looking at an audio equipment brochure (an Altec-Lansing graphical equalizer) printed in a number of different languages, and I was surprised how much less space the German description took compared to other languages.

There were a lot of compound words (I remember Activfiltersatz although that doesn't seem to be a word any more) but the reduction in size seemed to be a lot more than just leaving out the spaces between words.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      As I said earlier, there were real concerns raised at the start about naming but now the "name change" is more of an occasional running joke complete with smiley emoticon.
                      Code:
                      DAL:D?
                      Last edited by Djhg2000; 17 August 2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X