Minoca OS 0.4 Has X.Org Support, Available As A Coreboot Payload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

All major desktop environments and widget toolkits are moving to Wayland. The developers who currently maintain X and its drivers are behind Wayland. You do the math. The length of time between the concept of Wayland and now is not particularly relevant - it's not some kind of race.As for apps still "adding support for X" ... can you clarify what exactly you mean?
    I'm just saying, change doesn't happen as quickly as people seem to think it is. Remember, we're moving to IPv6 since 2000 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm just saying, change doesn't happen as quickly as people seem to think it is. Remember, we're moving to IPv6 since 2000 or so.
      More like since 2010 or so. Before that year the actual usage of IPv6 was pretty much 0, and people was just advocating for it.
      From 2013 it is showing 2% growth per year, and after 2015 it is growing at 3% per year. If it keeps this pace it should reach world domination within a decade, in the Parts Of The World That Count (tm) anyway (=First and Second World countries)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        More like since 2010 or so. Before that year the actual usage of IPv6 was pretty much 0, and people was just advocating for it.
        From 2013 it is showing 2% growth per year, and after 2015 it is growing at 3% per year. If it keeps this pace it should reach world domination within a decade, in the Parts Of The World That Count (tm) anyway (=First and Second World countries)
        https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/...=ipv6-adoption
        My point is, just like Xorg, IPv4's shortcomings have been known for a long while. To address those the better alternative, IPv6 was ratified in 1998! Fast forward 20 years and we're looking at single digit usage growth. Now, replacing a display protocol is nowhere near as problematic as replacing the IP stack, but I was just saying, entrenched technologies are not displaced as easily as some think.
        And unlike IPv6, Wayland is either not finished or kicks some functionality out the door and expects (rightfully or not - irrelevant for this topic) someone else to deal with implementing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Not interested in just another C based OS with nothing special design. They should contribute to Redox.
          My big problem with Redox and Magenta (and Mezzano, an OS written in Lisp) are that they use an MIT license. That's great for the community, the developers, and the users. Of course I support their right to pick any license they want.

But it means that companies like Apple, Samsung, Cisco, Foxconn, Allwinner, and so forth will have an easier time using the result without contributing anything back. Even in Magenta, it can be a Trojan Horse of sorts by Google - contribute to it and grow it until it's wildly popular with release N, and then make release N+1 completely proprietary. By the time most of the world figures out that Google just showed Microsoft how a smarter person would do EEE, the damage would be done.

By contrast if Minoca, Genode, GNU Hurd (ha!), ReactOS (ha ha ha!) or similar become more popular, it's harder for companies to use without giving back. It will still happen, of course. But GPL variants are at least some protection against it. MIT is loved by industry specifically because it facilitates use without contributing back.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            Not interested in just another C based OS with nothing special design. They should contribute to Redox.
            I wish the Redox - and Magenta and Mezzano (Lisp based) OS projects all the success in the world. But corporations love the MIT license because it lets them take without giving back.

I would much rather see Minoca, Genode, or (ha ha ha) GNU Hurd or ReactOS take off in popularity. Companies would still steal and not contribute back, but at least there's some means to fight it with GPL variants.

Comment

Working...
            X