Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Turns 20 Years Old

Phoronix: GNOME Turns 20 Years Old

It was twenty years ago today that Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena founded the GNOME project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Redhat 5 something I think, was the first time I saw GNOME anda had fallen in love :-D

Comment

Gnome 3 was a mistake, and way too many applications still use outdated gtk2... after like 10 years? (gimp) ... and here we are. Windows 10 has the best UI toolkit available, with most options, perfect DPI scaling , and free software counterparts are no competition.

After all, no one takes GNOME very serious...

Ubuntu may use it now, and Fedora. But who the fuck cares?
      Last edited by gotwig; 15 August 2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
        Gnome 3 was a mistake, and way too many applications still use outdated gtk2... after like 10 years? (gimp) ... and here we are. Windows 10 has the best UI toolkit available, with most options, perfect DPI scaling , and free software counterparts are no competition.

Ubuntu may use it now, and Fedora. But who the fuck cares?
        I don't know in which cramped universe you live in, but GNOME 3 is very usable and user friendly. It doesn't need to follow the Windows paradigm, I even find their Shell concept to be just plain better.

And Windows UI work is getting better, but Windows 8, 8.1 and early 10's GUI was an nearly incoprehensible mess. Their settings menus are still a disjointed mess where nothing can be found easily. Not to mention the UI itself is prone to crashes.

Comment

As much as I dislike Gnome devs' attitudes and the desktop's infinite supply of fanboys/trolls (I'm sure he'll be here any moment now), I wouldn't blame it for everything nor would I diminish all of the good things they've done throughout the years.

Gnome3 was, in my opinion, not exactly a step backwards, but a step sideways. They removed more functionality than ever before and dumbed down their ui to the point where doing some simple things became a chore due to hidden or missing (removed actually) functionality, similar to the Windows situation. Why on earth does the file manager still lack a proper and editable search bar?

I never liked Gtk3 as much, but Qt was not without drawbacks at the time. They (Gtk) screwed up the file selector (is it still missing thumbnails and hiding search?), forced CSD (don't you dare whine about this again, I know you're reading this).

The Windows10 desktop ui is subjective, but your opinion regarding it gets laughable at some point. Most options? Perfect DPI scaling? Maybe better than Aero, Metro, Gnome and KDEs but what about Mac? And what about all the hideous and scattered around windows managers? Old Windows7 ones? Metro? 10? Take your pick, yet use them all, since all of them have similar sections and all of them lack options existing in another. This is way worse than the mess we have in foss world. Windows' fm is cruder than Nautilus too (even though their search bar works).

I don't take Gnome seriously, nor any other DE I don't particularly enjoy using for the matter, but I won't deny they're getting a few things right even though they try to force their way into everyone's lifes and projects;

Comment

I'm glad the real Gnome lived on as Mate. I still wish my custom gtk3 theme wouldn't break with every new release though...

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
            There's only one desktop and you must use it because I say so. That's freedom!
            So you're not only a troll, but a hypocrite. You're an embarrassment to what you support.

Comment

Too many trolls in our days... Too many, unlike before.
              That's a good thing. It shows that we are in the right path.

Comment

20 years being the best DE. Thanks, GNOME! <3

Comment

Haven't seen Icaza mentioned in a long time. It reminded me of Mono, Moonlight etc. Not very often you see software labelled as "Radioactive": http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80528133529454

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                    Miguel de Icaza, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX who claimed Linux was dead on the desktop and responsible for bringing every Microsoft technology over to Linux.
                    Do the right thing, edit your post and remove the slur. That type of language has no place anywhere. There is lots of information regarding Icaza to get your point across.

Comment

Working...
                    X