No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 3 Rolls Out, Linux Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why whenever free samples are sent to Michael, they're almost always sent after the product is released. Most other review sites get the product beforehand so they can release their review on release day. It's not just AMD who does this to him.

Comment

Sweet, didn't AMD say they won't disable ECC on any of the Ryzen CPUs? If so one of these may end up in a future NAS of mine

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I don't understand why whenever free samples are sent to Michael, they're almost always sent after the product is released. Most other review sites get the product beforehand so they can release their review on release day. It's not just AMD who does this to him.
        Maybe that these are desktop parts and Linux is such a major player on the desktop has something to do with it?
        Also Michael is one guy (though you couldn't tell that by the volume of work he puts into Phoronix alone), he can't compete with sites that have strong organizations to back them up. But it's ok, it's not like another site will cover Linux performance first, because Michael gets samples late. We'll be here to read the review.

Comment

One of these, plus a cheap B350 motherboard (you might still want to overclock), and a low-end GPU (RX 560 say) would make a neat little 1080p gaming-catchup machine. Catchup means your typical Steam Sales Gamer, playing 2-5 year old games.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Maybe that these are desktop parts and Linux is such a major player on the desktop has something to do with it?
            Also Michael is one guy (though you couldn't tell that by the volume of work he puts into Phoronix alone), he can't compete with sites that have strong organizations to back them up. But it's ok, it's not like another site will cover Linux performance first, because Michael gets samples late. We'll be here to read the review.
            I think you misunderstood what I said: I'm saying other reviewers get their hardware before the official release date, so the reviewer can perform tests and post the review on the product's release day. But despite your valid point that Linux is a major desktop player, companies seem to send Michael samples on or after the release day, meaning his review will be several days late. Michael being 1 guy doesn't have anything to do with him getting samples later than everyone else.

All I'm saying is it seems a bit weird an unfair that he gets things at last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
              Sweet, didn't AMD say they won't disable ECC on any of the Ryzen CPUs? If so one of these may end up in a future NAS of mine
              The reason why is because when a die is fabricated every feature on it is already paid for. There is no reason to fuse it off, except to screw your customers. AMD's Founder, Jerry Sanders explained it quite well. He said, "Real men own fabs" and that's what he meant by that. The real cost of a fab is in keeping it up to date and top of the line throughout the years, it's not fabricating products so much. That's the cheapest part for them, because it's paid for in contracts long before it gets fabricated. EDIT: And the reason they produce every die with every feature is to reduce the cost of fabricating the feature. Whether people admit it or not, that's really what Moores law is all about. It's only sideways related to a products benchmark performance. What it was really about was the pace of integration.
              Last edited by duby229; 27 July 2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                The reason why is because when a die is fabricated every feature on it is already paid for. There is no reason to fuse it off, except to screw your customers let you sell some of the chips at a lower price than a "one price for everything" model would allow
                Fixed that for you.

The problem is that once one company does it everyone has to do it, unless your mfg costs are so much lower that you can sell a full featured part for same price your competitor charges for the de-featured parts, which in turn are subsidized by the higher prices they charge for full-featured parts.

Let's say your R&D and build costs would require you to charge $300 per chip. You can either sell nothing but full-featured parts at $300 or you can sell a de-featured part for $200 and a full-featured part for $500, where the purchasing mix works out to the same $300 average selling price.

If one company sells de-featured for $200 (where most people don't care about the feature) and the competing part is $300, the $200 part will suck up about 90% of the business because most of the PC market (pretty much everything except DIY desktop systems) is so incredibly price sensitive.
                Last edited by bridgman; 27 July 2017, 01:51 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Just my opinion here guys, but I think every DIMM of every kind over 1GB should be required to be ECC. Period. It should have been done a loong time ago.
                  Last edited by duby229; 27 July 2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Fixed that for you.

The problem is that once one company does it everyone has to do it, unless your mfg costs are so much lower that you can sell a full featured part for same price your competitor charges for the de-featured parts, which in turn are subsidized by the higher prices they charge for full-featured parts.

Let's say your R&D and build costs would require you to charge $300 per chip. You can either sell nothing but full-featured parts at $300 or you can sell a de-featured part for $200 and a full-featured part for $500, where the purchasing mix works out to the same $300 average selling price.

If one company sells de-featured for $200 (where most people don't care about the feature) and the competing part is $300, the $200 part will suck up about 90% of the business because most of the PC market (pretty much everything except DIY desktop systems) is so incredibly price sensitive.
                    That's just like locking your products from being multiplier overclocked. Guess what happens anyway? So yeah I understand where you're coming from to a point. People would buy the cheaper product to use in place of the higher end product. But I believe history has shown that doesn't happen. And that's directly in the middle of the price sensitive enthusiast sector. I do have some good arguments though if you'd like to hear them.

Had the Celeron 300A or the Duron 600 not existed, I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy an overclockable system, but they did exist and because of them I have highly fond memories. EDIT: Both of which could be unlocked using a rear window defogger repair kit. You know how cars have a rear window defogger. That stuff.
                    Last edited by duby229; 27 July 2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They usually just send out the CPUs, at least that's what I end up getting.
                      Well the cpu:s comes bundled with the Wraith Stealth cooler, so i guess it would cover the heatsink.
                      Last edited by Nille_kungen; 27 July 2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X