No announcement yet.

openSUSE Leap 42.3 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded 5 machines already. So far so good. Everything went OK. More to go.

I just wish there was some graphical tool for leap and tumbleweed like there is in *ubuntu...

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      Suse studio was so cool. I think it should have been a local app to make machines like debian live creator. Not a web app.
      You mean like kiwi, the offline, local app, which powers SUSE Studio (and now the SUSE Studio-like features in Open Build Service)?

It's how we build all of our disk images for all of the openSUSE distributions.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
        Upgraded 5 machines already. So far so good. Everything went OK. More to go.

I just wish there was some graphical tool for leap and tumbleweed like there is in *ubuntu...
        We're working on it - Can't promise when you might see it. There are graphical (and streamline cli) tools for migrating that SUSE Linux Enterprise uses. We actually have them in the openSUSE codebase now (thanks SUSE for contributing _everything_), but they're dependant on metadata from SUSE's Customer Centre service (what versions are supported to migrate, when, etc).

For openSUSE Leap 15 we're actually discussing with SUSE the possibility of, perhaps, allowing openSUSE users to (freely) opt-in to that service. It would make it a lot easier to use those tools, and potentially could lead to interesting options like supportable migrations from openSUSE Leap to SUSE Linux Enterprise.

Meanwhile, nothing is stopping someone from looking at the zypper-migration and yast migration tool code and implementing an alternative metadata source that could feed those tools without the need of using a registration-based service. The code is all there, we just need some contributors willing to drive it..might you be interested?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          It'd be nice if Novell updated their SuSE Studio as well..
          a) Novell no longer exist and have nothing to do with either SUSE or openSUSE. Like SUSE they were purchased by the Attachmate Group and then Micro Focus. Unlike SUSE, Novell is no longer run as a separate business and is wholly part of Micro Focus now.

b) SUSE Studio development is continuing primarily as part of the Open Build Service - http://openbuildservice.org/2017/05/...emplates-page/

Comment

Well.. Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
              GNOME 3.20 is quite old by now. SUSE probably wanted that version for their next enterprise product. It is also rumored that SUSE want wayland as default for next Leap. That might end with GNOME as default desktop.
              Is not gnome the only option for SUSE Enterprise?
              Well I can't understand why GNOME is not updated, it is like to say that GNOME 2.22 or 2.24 are not stable enough for them..

Comment

Sure GNOME is the only option for SUSE. They can't ship unaudited code. GNOME 3.22 is used in Debian Stable and RHEL beta so it is very stable. Most likely more stable(audited) than 3.20.

SUSE just happened to pick 3.20 version. Expect updates to next Leap.
                If 3.22 is more audited and stable and feature rich why not update Gnome packages from 42.1->42.2->42.3 dont make sense to get stuck with the same...

SUSE is a patron of KDE, so I think they must have a plan of KDE as alternative for Enterprise in the future, I hope so.

Comment

Sure GNOME is the only option for SUSE. They can't ship unaudited code. GNOME 3.22 is used in Debian Stable and RHEL beta so it is very stable. Most likely more stable(audited) than 3.20.

SUSE just happened to pick 3.20 version. Expect updates to next Leap.
                  C'mon Griffin, stop it. SUSE's release does not update GNOME with service packs as it would introduce breakage like Windows feature updates.
                  Not even RHEL (the stable versions) do that.

Comment

When Leap 15 goes Wayland they most likely have to make "difficult decisions" on kde. AKA purge [half their userbase], just like Canonical did on Unity8.
                    Nah, I really don't think they are going to do that.

There is a large portion of the suse userbase that are suse users because suse is the definitive KDE experience.
                    Yes, they like YAST, and yes they like the enterprise derived stability, and the community is very strong too.... but they are KDE users.
                    Because suse has been the home for KDE users since Mandrake went over a cliff.
                    Yes, KDE have been put on warning at the last suse conference that the quality needs to improve.
                    No, there is no conceivable chance of KDE replacing Gnome as the SLES DE. Ain't gonna happen.

But there is a huge distance between the positions outlined above and taking away the favoured DE of half (the majority?) of the suse userbase!
                    Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 28 July 2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

If Horton/Griffin/GhostOfFunkS actually believes in their imagenary "auditing" then I wonder why GNOME software has CVEs?

Security vulnerabilities related to Gnome : List of vulnerabilities related to any product of this vendor. Cvss scores, vulnerability details and links to full CVE details and references

Comment

Working...
                      X