Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Disks Gaining Resize & Repair Support

Phoronix: GNOME Disks Gaining Resize & Repair Support

Thanks to work ongoing to GNOME Disks and UDisks, there should soon be support within this disk/file-system management program for resizing partitions as well as running a file-system repair...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be more interesting in seeing proper support for multi-disk btrfs and recognizing partitions within LUKS container.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
      I'd be more interesting in seeing proper support for multi-disk btrfs and recognizing partitions within LUKS container.
      And one day you'll probably get it, but this is far more appealing and functional to the vast majority of users.

Comment

Looks too complex for GNOME's taste. The resize function should only ask for a size.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Looks too complex for GNOME's taste. The resize function should only ask for a size.
          I know Gnome's philosophy and I think can sense your sarcasm, So yeah, I agree 100%.

Comment

Nice. Finally!

I can ditch gparted completely.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
              I suppose that it would be pretty. But in my opinion if you're running multi-disk btrfs you should be doing it from the command line.

If you wanted a very pretty graphical interface it would need to be complete, so it could show which physical drive was being replaced or added. Like in those NAS web interfaces.

A GUI to let you replace /dev/sdd3 is not nearly as useful. You don't have enough information to know what /dev/sdd is. And it's going to take 18 hours, is the GUI going to just sit there spinning a little circle that long?

Comment

There's a case for helping users configure a RAID1 or RAID1-alike, I suppose. Ditto weird encrypted stuff e.g. laptop users with some kind of confidential data.

For that I'll wish Gnome-disks developers good luck.
                I would trollishly distrust gnome-disks and tell them, bugger off, I can use fdisk, mkfs, gparted, fstab. But gnome-disk is a nice convenience to mount drives on the computer's startup, it gets the partition into the fstab with UUIDs which is what allows them to work every time. Unfortunately, /dev/sdd3 can randomly jump to /dev/sdb3 or /dev/sdc3 or even /dev/sda3.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  A GUI to let you replace /dev/sdd3 is not nearly as useful. You don't have enough information to know what /dev/sdd is. And it's going to take 18 hours, is the GUI going to just sit there spinning a little circle that long?
                  There are stories of burger-flipper technician, or security guard asked to replace a failed disk in a RAID 5 array in a datacenter or server room... but that's a disaster, as the wrong disk is replaced.
                  I suppose you should write something like a disk UUID on a sticker and put the sticker on the disk drive?
                  Or I could imagine a GUI to emphasize the drive's serial number.

Comment

Making Gnome Disks make the jump from great to even greater.

Seriously, it has a lot of awesome functionality that make it the only GUI tool worth using for me, and paired with CLI tools that covers all my needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X