Adobe Is Finally Ending Flash Support... In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Flash would have died earlier had Hulu made the switch to HTML5, but they have stuck with Flash since the beginning due to the extensive framework of software that is connected to it on the backend of their network.
    There were several content delivery firms waiting for more secure replacements on HTML5. Several firms have been working together to provide that (like Netflix & Microsoft).

The problem now is the many 3rd party custom components/widgets that use Flash have to either die or come up with replacements. Many of the lower cost web sites still use alot of these widgets to include certain features that flash supports. And there are still several relevant websites that are still making the change over.

For example, the other day I was trying to download some drivers from a Lenovo support site and I didn't have Flash installed. The Drop down/Search object wouldn't work with out it.

Comment

Originally posted by spike411 View Post
      But… but… what about homestarrunner.com?
      They have addressed that issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=L0nuQ5o2DYU

Comment

Once smartphones and tablets started outselling desktops and laptops, Flash usage declined insanely fast. I very rarely encounter anything that requires Flash anymore.

Kind of a shame - Flash was great for a lot of things and in the early 2000s made the Internet a lot more fun, but Adobe just did such a terrible job maintaining it. If they worked on security, GPU acceleration, and ported it to more platforms (such as 64 bit Windows) it'd probably still be popular. I don't really understand why Adobe bought out Macromedia. I guess Dreamweaver (and maybe the vector technology in Fireworks?) were what they had the most interest in, but that hardly seems worth buying out an entire company. I always wonder where Flash would be today if Macromedia were still around.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Kind of a shame - Flash was great for a lot of things and in the early 2000s made the Internet a lot more fun, but Adobe just did such a terrible job maintaining it. If they worked on security, GPU acceleration, and ported it to more platforms (such as 64 bit Windows) it'd probably still be popular.
          Yeah, point is that it would be a mindboggingly massive investment. It seems Adobe bought it for getting free cash for while, not to invest seriously in it.

Comment

I didn't use flash for years :-) The only mistake I made was buying a game that is using this shit, but I didn't know, there should be a warning.

Comment

When is Adobe not killing flash?
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

One word.

YAY !!!

Comment

What about newgrounds.com ? :P

Anyway... I haven't had flash installed in YEARS anymore. I dropped flash around the time when youtube started offering videos trough HTML5 video -tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
                    Anyway... I haven't had flash installed in YEARS anymore. I dropped flash around the time when youtube started offering videos trough HTML5 video -tag.
                    Same. I used a Firefox addons to force HTML5 video.

Comment

Time to OpenSource it then!

Comment

Working...
                      X