The Vision For KDE Plasma According To Its Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I thought their vision was to drop frames all over the place so that 60FPS video stutters, and make alt+tab not work half the time.
    If you're going to troll, you might want to focus on a problem that hasn't been fixed a long time ago.

Comment

Does KDE still have that damned Nvidia VSync bug where it works sometimes or not at all and usually not through enabling it the Nvidia control panel or the KDE desktop settings? I know that one was a problem for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
        Does KDE still have that damned Nvidia VSync bug where it works sometimes or not at all and usually not through enabling it the Nvidia control panel or the KDE desktop settings? I know that one was a problem for a long time.
        That is an annoying one. Having said that, putting this
        Code:
        export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
        in /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh solved for me. Never had screen tearing again and game performance is the same.

Comment

How did they build Firefox there? Qt support in it was rotting away, and IPC embedlite died out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            That is a problem of the Nvidia driver, not Plasma. Every compositor on Linux is troublesome with Nvidia. Gnome doesn't have tearing, but it's a stuttery mess in exchange.

Originally posted by useless View Post

That is an annoying one. Having said that, putting this
            Code:
            export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
            in /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh solved for me. Never had screen tearing again and game performance is the same.
            Introduces stuttering here on a GTX 1070 (or any other card), just have to move some windows. export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" works better.

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
              I wonder what the actual percentage is of women using Plasma compared to men.
              My mother uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Introduces stuttering here on a GTX 1070 (or any other card), just have to move some windows. export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" works better.
                Yeah, that works too. Choosing between the two is a "work best for this system setup" thing. Some KDE devs (or openSUSE KDE mantainers, can't remember correctly) stated in thread forums and reddit that changing GL iddle loop to USLEEP might cause FPS drop in some games.

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                That is a problem of the Nvidia driver, not Plasma.
                This is so true. I'm still waiting for NVIDIA to solve that nasty texture buffer corruption after resume from S3. Hell, even they admit its a temporary workaround and not an expected behaviour.

Comment

I use KDE on Arch Linux since years and there have been a lot of bugs, but recently I have the feeling quality it is steadily improving. A lot of issues have been related to graphic drivers and Qt. I can even run Plasma-Wayland on my AMD GPU quite stable :-)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    If you're going to troll, you might want to focus on a problem that hasn't been fixed a long time ago.
                    Troll? Sorry but I had the exact same problem too, on KDE 5.10, but I fixed it by patching KWin to use DRM for VSync (the RefreshRate=100 solution introduces input lag).

Comment

I got KWin compositing running with 75Hz and video playback in mpv is stutter-free.

Comment

Working...
                      X