Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Feral Games Are Currently Broken On Mesa Git, RadeonSI Also Has A Steam Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I also got hit by the bug where Steam won't start, using Padoka's mesa git PPA. Revert it to his stable PPA and things work again.
    Same here, except that, because of unmet dependencies, I can't purge padoka! I'm stuck with a broken mesa, and strongly considering moving to opensuse tumbleweed over kde neon. I could just use the padoka stable ppa but that also caused headaches on Neon so I switched to unstable. This is the second or third breakage on a buntu-based distro from using a mesa ppa. I wish they would just keep mesa up-to-date on LTS.

Comment

molecule-eye:

You must have hit the same ppa-purge dependency bug I met. Just install Aptitude:

sudo apt install aptitude

It will resume the purging and then you can switch to the stable PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

Same here, except that, because of unmet dependencies, I can't purge padoka! I'm stuck with a broken mesa, and strongly considering moving to opensuse tumbleweed over kde neon. I could just use the padoka stable ppa but that also caused headaches on Neon so I switched to unstable. This is the second or third breakage on a buntu-based distro from using a mesa ppa. I wish they would just keep mesa up-to-date on LTS.
        I was just about to ask why you don't use the mesa PPA fo the Ubuntu devs for more up to date mesa versions: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ubuntu/updates
        Well d'oh, it's outdated again. Same shit for years.

If you want an up to date stable graphics stack, switch to Arch (or derivative) or Tumbleweed or build it yourself (it's not that hard).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Eh, if every commit ended up in a usable binary, we wouldn't need releases at all.
          This article is a heads-up for anyone looking to try code from git, nothing more.
          It's actually fairly unusual to see serious regressions in master, and it should be. Other developers can't work off master if it breaks their tests.

Comment

This sort of thing happens more often then people care to admit for MESA if your running latest versions.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It's actually fairly unusual to see serious regressions in master, and it should be. Other developers can't work off master if it breaks their tests.
              I didn't say it was usual, I said it was expected

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                molecule-eye:

You must have hit the same ppa-purge dependency bug I met. Just install Aptitude:

sudo apt install aptitude

It will resume the purging and then you can switch to the stable PPA.
                Cheers! It worked, and I'm on padoka stable now. Thanks again!

Comment

OpenMW seems to be broken as well, at least for me.
                  I'm seeing similar glitch with Skyrim (under gallium nine), screen is black with flashing RGB lights all over the place.

Comment

Most of my Feral games work in Steam with Arch Linux with Mesa-git, just in Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III I can see the black start window as well. Maybe you need a very specific configuration.

Comment

Well I think it's good that this regression information is posted here on Phoronix, to spread awareness as alot of Linux graphics stack devs lurk on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X