Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Feral Games Are Currently Broken On Mesa Git, RadeonSI Also Has A Steam Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Feral Games Are Currently Broken On Mesa Git, RadeonSI Also Has A Steam Issue

Phoronix: Most Feral Games Are Currently Broken On Mesa Git, RadeonSI Also Has A Steam Issue

Mesa Git is usually relatively sane for Linux gamers wanting the bleeding-edge open-source driver experience for best OpenGL/Vulkan features and performance, but at the moment it's a bit of a headache with what in effect are two blocker bugs for Mesa 17.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that means Steam starts up at all on some distributions. Wow. Lucky folks. Once it runs for a month, and then something breaks again. You start deleting bundled libs, sometimes it helps, sometimes just errors shift around. Oh, well.
    And that one with Feral and the single line change shows how complicated matter and how extensive consequences in GPU tech can be.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Wow, that means Steam starts up at all on some distributions. Wow. Lucky folks. Once it runs for a month, and then something breaks again. You start deleting bundled libs, sometimes it helps, sometimes just errors shift around. Oh, well.
      And that one with Feral and the single line change shows how complicated matter and how extensive consequences in GPU tech can be.
      This is about Mesa git code. It's never expected to be stable and things can and do (as we can see) break during development. There's a reason why it's still unreleased code in development. Users brave enough to use that should be aware of that.

Steam works great on open-source drivers on any distro shipping a recent Mesa version, and it doesn't break or anything.

Comment

I also got hit by the bug where Steam won't start, using Padoka's mesa git PPA. Revert it to his stable PPA and things work again.

Comment

Not only that, shadows is such games as CS:GO or Serious Sam Fusion are rendered incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
            Not only that, shadows is such games as CS:GO or Serious Sam Fusion are rendered incorrectly.
            Hmm, have the steam/CS:GO issues been bisected down yet? I am running RadeonSI out of upstream git as of a couple days ago and I don't have these issues. I could probably find the offending commit. Do you know of a specific map or area where I could see the issues in CS:GO? I could pretty quickly bisect it if I had a demofile to replay.

Comment

Here it is. To see the bug you need 'Global Shadow Quality' to be set to 'Medium' or 'High' in CSGO. In SS Fusion I had everything on 'Medium', except of resolution.
              Failed to post links, sorry. Maybe i'm not allowed to do it.

https://i.imgur.com/twXisk1.jpg -- CS:GO
              https://i.imgur.com/p7okzxa.jpg -- SS Fusion

Please not that I'm building Mesa against LLVM trunk, so it may be the issue of LLVM.

Comment

Eh, if every commit ended up in a usable binary, we wouldn't need releases at all.
                This article is a heads-up for anyone looking to try code from git, nothing more.

Comment

So maybe that is why "Total War: Warhammer" does not start at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Tried out the Steam Flatpak in Flathub?

Comment

Working...
                    X