Nouveau Gets Thermal Throttling, One Step Closer For GTX 900 Re-Clocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gets Thermal Throttling, One Step Closer For GTX 900 Re-Clocking

Phoronix: Nouveau Gets Thermal Throttling, One Step Closer For GTX 900 Re-Clocking

Nouveau re-clocking/power expert Karol Herbst has published a set of patches today implementing thermal throttling support for this open-source NVIDIA DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    in order to prevent overheating orT damaging the GPU.

Comment

This is great. I have a geforce 660 card that I purchased because I wanted to run 3x monitors on it. Soon I can try without the official nvidia driver. Not that I mind the official one, it works great for me, but it feels better to "be a bit free"

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        This is great. I have a geforce 660 card that I purchased because I wanted to run 3x monitors on it. Soon I can try without the official nvidia driver. Not that I mind the official one, it works great for me, but it feels better to "be a bit free"
        correct

Comment

Nouveau will always be held hostage to nvidia's antagonism towards libre drivers, especially after they started signing the firmwares.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
            Nouveau will always be held hostage to nvidia's antagonism towards libre drivers, especially after they started signing the firmwares.
            That reminds me. I keep forgetting to look into why it's not feasible to extract the firmware from the binary driver and then load it using whatever method that driver uses.

(As a way to ensure that, even if end users have to grab the binary driver and run an extraction script, at least it would guarantee compatibility with future kernels when nVidia's support is lagging or end-of-lifed.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That reminds me. I keep forgetting to look into why it's not feasible to extract the firmware from the binary driver and then load it using whatever method that driver uses.

(As a way to ensure that, even if end users have to grab the binary driver and run an extraction script, at least it would guarantee compatibility with future kernels when nVidia's support is lagging or end-of-lifed.)
              I thought it had something to do with the GPU bios itself rejecting blobs without the proper signature? Or did they get around that?

Comment

Wouldn't be faster try to break this signature thing instead of waiting nvidia? It took a year or 2 to they release part of the firmware

Comment

I've always gotten the impression cryptography is more an art than a science. A gut feeling can get you a lot further than mathematical analysis. Which is why most people suck at it. It takes a certain kind of inborn skills for a person to be really good at it, in that way it's more like a sport, and nVidia's team is way better paid.
                  Last edited by duby229; 21 July 2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    Wouldn't be faster try to break this signature thing instead of waiting nvidia? It took a year or 2 to they release part of the firmware
                    Because they want to stay friends with Nvidia I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X