Unreal Tournament Gives Another Excuse To RadeonSI Developers To "Game"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tournament Gives Another Excuse To RadeonSI Developers To "Game"

Phoronix: Unreal Tournament Gives Another Excuse To RadeonSI Developers To "Game"

As it's probably been one year or so since last trying out Epic Games' new Unreal Tournament game in public alpha and with today's update offering easier Linux access, I decided to try it out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Including black textures... Perhaps related to the recent Mesa workarounds for (UE4-powered) Rocket League with having black grass?
    Rocket League is powered by UE3:

But, it wouldn't surprise me if the rendering engine shares some of the same code to have a related issue.

Comment

It has the same issues on Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
        It has the same issues on Nvidia.
        So maybe the game itself is buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          So maybe the game itself is buggy.
          That's impossible! Game engine developers are infallible.

Comment

A quick NVIDIA run on a different system with the 381 driver had yielded correct rendering.
            Sure it does ...

Comment

It's been broken every time I tried to test this out with mesa. I'm leaning towards lack of effort by Epics engine team. Vulkan was brought up for mobile very fast, they don't seem to care so much when it comes to desktop. It's a shame, because it affects many developers who want to support Linux.

Comment

So... you skipped work and played some games...
                Chuck Norris approves!

Comment

I'll keep repeating, OpenGL/DX and other old graphics apis should burn and die. Long live Vulkan. I feel the pain of using X and OpenGL stuff for 20years on my eyes. All this stuff is broken by definition. No one get it right. Every developer should forget OpenGL/DX and X protocol right now and concentrate every bit of work in wayland and Vulkan, the right way to implement a graphics stack. Vulkan is much simpler and the experience should be the same on every implementation.
                  I just throw away a GTX1080 and ubuntu to run my desktop on a cheap AMD A8 7600 and Fedora just to fill less pain on my eyes. Still gnome wayland compositor is not perfect and I can see some stutter every few seconds. I'm seek of this stuff.
                  Last edited by sp82; 28 June 2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Just to also say what others have, the game is NOT fine on NVIDIA.

You should really check things more thoroughly for accurate articles

Comment

Working...
                    X