No announcement yet.

Ryzen 7 CPUFreq Governor Comparison For Linux Gaming On 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a nice small applet called "indicator-cpufreq" on Ubuntu. After you install that package and run it by that name the first time, it will show a small icon on the taskbar, were with 2 clicks you can change to the governor you want. Works for both Intel and AMD CPUs and any DE you use. It also loads automatically after every boot.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      There is a nice small applet called "indicator-cpufreq" on Ubuntu.
      And since Unity is deprecated, here is the Gnome-Shell extension with a ton of options: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1082/cpufreq/

Comment

tl;dr
        use schedutil

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
          And since Unity is deprecated, here is the Gnome-Shell extension with a ton of options: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1082/cpufreq/
          MATE and Cinnamon have that, and I'm half sure also XFCE has it.
          I didn't find it easily on KDE, it might be in one of the manager applets around. I've yet to have a worthy laptop where I would need that to conserve battery (my small notebook needs max performance it can get to just limp around, my "new" laptop had horribly broken ACPI tables that prevented any kind of control over CPU)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Translating for the plebs: "APU system with a heatsink that can't handle the max dissipation of the chip" = most laptops
            Intel with their Turbo system fixed that finally, by making the "rated speed" the speed the laptop chip could maintain indefinitely. On my laptop, it can maintain a 3 GHz Turbo indefinitely with loud fans, but its rating is 2.3 GHz.

If I cranked up the Nvidia GPU as well as using the Intel GPU (for quicksync or something) then 2.3 GHz is all I'd get.

Thinking about it more, "can't handle the max dissipation of the chip" is true for most desktops as well. Almost every CPU can clock higher and use more power than the cooling system can handle. More than most non-gaming motherboards can deliver.

Comment

Did no one notice how radeonSI's performance in Bioshock Infinite improved? I believe it was because mesa-dev (or git) has enabled OpenGL threaded dispatch code thorough a whitelist.

Yup -> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ne/160329.html

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                If I cranked up the Nvidia GPU as well as using the Intel GPU (for quicksync or something) then 2.3 GHz is all I'd get.
                So let's recap: Intel Turbo uses the same TDP as normal operation as it is shutting down cores, but the latop's cooling system can handle that only if the NVIDIA GPU is offline (like 99% of laptops there is a single system cooling both CPU and GPU).

Yeah, that's a proof that Intel fixed that OEM issue pretty well.

Really, it's probably a VRM issue, in laptops the power components are crappy and not cooled at all, so they are another bottleneck.

Thinking about it more, "can't handle the max dissipation of the chip" is true for most desktops as well. Almost every CPU can clock higher and use more power than the cooling system can handle. More than most non-gaming motherboards can deliver.
                I was talking of rated TDP, not overclock.

But anyway, I don't see how the mobo is related to the cooling system. Even crappy mobos have VRM exposed that get cooled by air from the CPU cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Intel with their Turbo system fixed that finally, by making the "rated speed" the speed the laptop chip could maintain indefinitely. On my laptop, it can maintain a 3 GHz Turbo indefinitely with loud fans, but its rating is 2.3 GHz.

My first thought was something along the lines of " ... err ... come again?"

But then it occurred to me that I have nothing but my own anecdotal evidence to back up my skepticism. In short, ever since the original Athlon series I have routinely built my own desktops, replacing the stock CPU fan and installing at least a single case fan as a matter of course.

So what 'evidence' I have could actually be said to support your assertion. Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    But anyway, I don't see how the mobo is related to the cooling system. Even crappy mobos have VRM exposed that get cooled by air from the CPU cooler.
                    The motherboard delivers power to the CPU. The cheap motherboards you get in a $250 HP cannot deliver 240 watts of clean power to the CPU. A Gigabyte X99 Gaming-G1 can. For example. MSI and ASUS do the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X