Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina 1.3 Desktop Environment Released

Phoronix: Lumina 1.3 Desktop Environment Released

TrueOS-aligned Lumina Desktop Environment 1.3 is now available as the latest stable release for this Qt-powered desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Several Linux distributions package it, but it's not commonly supported. We already have several smallish desktop environments that have the same basic goal of being small, working well on old and bargain basement computers, using a small utility for each task and avoiding entanglements with systemd. I wonder what their objection with using LXQt was. If it was just the GPL/LGPL then making a whole new project seems pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronHK View Post
      Several Linux distributions package it, but it's not commonly supported. We already have several smallish desktop environments that have the same basic goal of being small, working well on old and bargain basement computers, using a small utility for each task and avoiding entanglements with systemd. I wonder what their objection with using LXQt was. If it was just the GPL/LGPL then making a whole new project seems pointless.
      Lumina is the only desktop made on FreeBSD for FreeBSD (TruOS anyway), it will probably become more integrated with TruOS as it goes, and might be less compatible with Linux as a result.

They want a DE that is 100% independent from Linux to see where they can get with a project that has no need to be multi-platform, this alone makes it worth having around. At least imho.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Lumina is the only desktop made on FreeBSD for FreeBSD (TruOS anyway), it will probably become more integrated with TruOS as it goes, and might be less compatible with Linux as a result.

They want a DE that is 100% independent from Linux to see where they can get with a project that has no need to be multi-platform, this alone makes it worth having around. At least imho.
        Looks sort of amateurish at the moment. They posted an article on OMG Ubuntu! and I nearly choked when someone said "Designed by Stevie Wonder.". I took another look at it. Late 90s Gnome (before there was a HIG) came to mind.

Comment

Looks sort of amateurish at the moment. They posted an article on OMG Ubuntu! and I nearly choked when someone said "Designed by Stevie Wonder.". I took another look at it. Late 90s Gnome (before there was a HIG) came to mind.
          well I mean... have you seen any of the non-KDE, non-GNOME (or GNOME-derived like cinnamon) desktops? None of them are going to be winning any beauty contests. Which has the root cause in that none of them have seen the hand of a graphic designer, they're completely designed and written by programmers and so look the part. That said the workflow has been completely functional for a few major releases now so if you can tolerate the usual limitations of the lightweight desktops, Lumina will be just fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I've been using Lumina as my daily driver on FreeBSD for about 6 months both at home and work. I used I3 for about a year or so before that. I like the tiling and keyboard shortcuts of I3, but sometimes one needs some windows and layering. It does it's job and gets out of the way.

Comment

It's still under heavy development and they learn as they go. Less than a year ago it was not even functional.

I'd say it is too young to be compared to other DEs that had like a decade and still look like crap.

Comment

Even Lubuntu isn't comfortable using LXQt and the project seems to be behind schedule and not ready for something being sold to customers....

Lumia is developed on and for BSD, they just additionally package it for Linux. If anything this seems like the best path to work out an eventual Wayland port to BSD. I'm not sure how integrated Gnome/Plasma will be with systemD by they time they start getting close.

Comment

Lumina - The ugliest desktop environment!

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                    Lumia is developed on and for BSD, they just additionally package it for Linux. If anything this seems like the best path to work out an eventual Wayland port to BSD. I'm not sure how integrated Gnome/Plasma will be with systemD by they time they start getting close.
                    Yeah, as Linux userspace becomes more hardened by using its kernel features, BSDs will start getting shafted as porting becomes harder and harder.

Comment

Working...
                    X