Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMD Stoney Ridge Code Lands In Coreboot

Phoronix: More AMD Stoney Ridge Code Lands In Coreboot

It looks like the first AMD-powered Chromebook might be getting closer to reality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The real question here is: how hard will it be to strip Googles OS and install a clean Linux? For me anyways Chromebooks are pretty useless devices as shipped.

Comment

Indeed, that would be interesting. Add some real storage and kick all the cloud and google related stuff and you may happen to have an interesting piece of hardware to work with. Though I wonder if they have decent keyboards (layout, keys themselves) on them.
      In any case, more AMD CPU/APU support in Coreboot is more good.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        The real question here is: how hard will it be to strip Googles OS and install a clean Linux? For me anyways Chromebooks are pretty useless devices as shipped.
        If other chromebooks are any indication, it won't be terribly hard.
        Google isn't that bad of an overlord so far. You can usually reflash their coreboot with one that allows booting Linux (or windows it seems) from here https://mrchromebox.tech/

There is also a specialized (ubuntu-based) linux distro for them https://galliumos.org/

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          At least on all Chromebooks I heard about all you need it switch to developer mode and then you can do whatever you want. Problem is that not all of them have storage that can be upgraded, on many it's soldered to motherboard together with RAM.

Comment

Stoney Ridge is the low power version of Bristol Ridge which is the successor to Carrizo. I've got a Bristol Ridge in both my laptop and desktop. Great little chips.

Stoney is interesting because unlike the Carrizo-L while being a low powered chip and named after Carrizo was NOT a Carrizo derivative at all but was a Puma chip Stoney Ridge is an actual Bristol Ridge derivative for things such as a Chromebook.

Stoney and Bristol are the last of the line for the Bulldozer arch with the Excavator improvements. Would love to see a head to head with a Chromebook with an Intel Kabylake.

Comment

Hmm....I guess an explanation of what a Stoney Ridge is was too controversial for the forum alogorithm

Comment

Ahhhh....there it is now

Comment

Right... Stoney Ridge is a 2 core / 3 CU "small APU" vs Bristol Ridge 4 core / 8 CU. The nice thing about Stoney is that its small size relative to its power budget allows it to turbo up pretty high, so in a lot of cases it's the fastest Bulldozer-arch part we make on single-threaded workloads.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X