Linux 4.12 Ubuntu Benchmarks With AMD Ryzen, Intel Kabylake - 12 Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    About this second picture in the article... Are the readers supposed to take notice of the hard liquor at the work place? I cannot say I like it.
    I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, but AFAIK that is a shot of Michael's basement and "the work place" is upstairs.

Michael just has a lot more PCs in his basement than most people do.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, but AFAIK that is a shot of Michael's basement and "the work place" is upstairs.

Michael just has a lot more PCs in his basement than most people do.
      Didn't Michael put in a huge projector down there too? I'd say putting in a little bar makes a lot of sense if it doubles as an entertainment room.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Didn't Michael put in a huge projector down there too? I'd say putting in a little bar makes a lot of sense if it doubles as an entertainment room.
        Yes, there's a projector down there. Though don't really see what the deal is about having a bar area in a basement... Rarely ever touched though since 98% of the time I am drinking beer when it comes to drinks, and my wife keeps her vodka stash handy in the kitchen Having the rest of the 'bar' in basement is mostly about just making use of space and having extra room there, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The curse of being a public figure... your readers control your life
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            "Even with Zen CPUs having AVX2, they come noticeably behind the Intel CPUs in the Himeno pressure solver test."

While I'm a huge AMD Ryzen fan, there is unfortunately some kind of limit in regards to fused multiple ads or so, basically halfing the thruput compared to the Intel CPUs, ... :-/

Beside that Ryzen is of course awesome, a welcome change to kick Intel's ass and innovate again ;-)!
            They don't have dedicated 256-bit AVX units, instead they have very slightly more 128-bit units, but it does appear to have a serious negative impact on their performance here.

Though I wonder if the benchmark was optimized for AMD, because apparently the compilers were too pessimistic about how well it handled 256-bit AVX and actually hurt it even more by only using 128-bit instructions.

Comment

As others already asked. What library is numpy using , is It Intel's MKL ? Info about that would be great.

Comment

4.12 Kernel has issues with Ryzen under heavy loads, known good configuration right now is Ubuntu 17.04 use 4.11.7 low latency kernel and ASLR disabled see my post on the AMD forums https://community.amd.com/thread/215...t=120&tstart=0

Currently testing the generic 4.11.7 kernel with ASLR enabled just to see if it is 4.12 kernel issue with Ryzen. But for now just use 4.11.7 low latency with ASLR disabled.
                Last edited by Benjamin; 27 June 2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X