2017 Linux Laptop Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its 2017, the survey needs RGB!

For real now, I like efficient laptops. The upcoming Raven Ridge APU looks promising and if minimum (or a little more) performance hits a good price, then this screams "make a laptop out of me". A nice range of I/O is a given, 15-17" as I want to work with it, IPS display and a halfway decent build-quality. Other than that, modularity is cool (MXM-slot, non soldered RAM or SSD stuff), maybe even a replaceable CPU slot, M.2 slots (heck, 2 would be nice) and an UEFI that can handle it all.

Comment

Added macOS option. Also dropped the 'option 6' straggler.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I wish there was a "Other" option in the "Are your laptop(s) dual-boot with another operating system?" question, since I multi-boot with Linux distros, Windows and OS X.
        So... you simply answer "yes"?

Comment

The last question in the survey covers all we want. And it is "a long battery life". Why? Because when everything is done well, it works longer. Alas, this is not the case with any Linux distro and the kernel iteself.

Comment

WTF!? Where id my message I've posted right now?

Comment

Originally posted by cuss View Post
              WTF!? Where id my message I've posted right now?
              Users until they get 5 posts first go into moderation queue to ensure it's not an auto spam bot. Your post is now cleared.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Users until they get 5 posts first go into moderation queue to ensure it's not an auto spam bot. Your post is now cleared.
                OK. Got it. Thanks for clarification.

Comment

Surprised there's no question about the age of the laptop. Lenovo G570 2012...

Comment

I have audio issues with my Lenovo IdeaPad G400S, when using earphones/external speakers it only works in mono, not in stereo.

Can't listen music on my laptop since then :'(

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                      Filled out the survey. Not unhappy with my HP EliteBook 725 G2, but it would have been nice if there had been decent laptops out there without a Broadcom WLAN card (which, of course, I had to replace, that piece of garbage had severe driver issues even on Windows).
                      If the specs I was looking at for EliteBook 725 are correct, you can find a similar HP laptop without Broadcom wifi. I have HP ProBook 470 G3 and it comes with Intel Pro Wireless, whereas old HP Pavilion G6 came with Broadcom. Man, it was a pain, that I ended up buying Atheros USB dongle.

Comment

Working...
                      X