Ubuntu 17.10 Proceeding With Transition From LightDM To GDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

LightDM can start Wayland sessions while running on X11.
    How do I make that work? I've never seen any wayland sessions I have installed come up in Lightdm's list of available sessions. I'd rather keep lightdm on my rather customized Debian setup so no part of the path to any one session depends on components of another

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post

How do I make that work? I've never seen any wayland sessions I have installed come up in Lightdm's list of available sessions. I'd rather keep lightdm on my rather customized Debian setup so no part of the path to any one session depends on components of another
      It worked out of the box on Arch. Wayland session were there. Not sure if that's the case about Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

Yes indeed. The problem is that Gnome Shell is so tightly integrated with GDM that it would take too much effort to rewrite LightDM to provide the minimal level of integration to have Gnome Shell run, and since Canonical is no longer in the personal computing business, ain't nobody got time for that. It's classic embrace-and-extend: with Gnome you're their bitch and they want you to take it all or you don't get any. It's OK though, a lot of people here like it like that and most people just use Microsoft or Apple products and aren't affected.
        You are right about tight integration. If, for example, gnome-shell isn't started from gdm, then you can say bye-bye to screen locker.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
          It's OK though, a lot of people here like it like that and most people just use Microsoft or Apple products and aren't affected.
          I still have Ubuntu 11.04 for my "daily driver" since I do not want to "upgrade" to the newest pile of unusable crap. My work box has the newer crap -- Ubuntu 16.04 -- and I've moved almost exclusively to Windows 10 now over there.

It's amazing how much the Linux desktop has devolved in just five years.

But nobody in the Linux community has the balls to talk about it, so it's the blind leading the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Proceeding With Transition From LightDM To GDM

As part of the switch over to the GNOME Shell desktop environment by default for Ubuntu 17.10, they are also abandoning the LightDM display/log-in manager in favor of GNOME's GDM...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GDM-Proceeding
            Maybe when they dump hundreds of broken patches their quality will increase, but with obvious bugs that don't occur on any other distribution being common on Ubuntu, it's hard to tell..

Case in point, I can't get my Bluetooth A2DP speaker working in Ubuntu without some nasty workarounds that stop working after a reboot, but it works fine on Fedora. One of the reasons that I don't use Ubuntu is because I don't like bugs and this one has apparently been floating around for at LEAST three releases according to information I've read on the internet.

I've tried reporting bugs to Ubuntu and they tend to just sit there with no activity on them or get a bunch of comments but no fix.

Another problem is how encrypted home folders are broken in 17.04 and it'll encrypt your home folder, but then it'll fail to read the swapfile on reboot and hang for two minutes trying to read it before it lets you log in, without the swapfile, because it has given up. They patched it but never re-spinned the installer ISO. Fedora respins their install media frequently.
            Last edited by BaronHK; 24 June 2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

​​​​​​Right now lightdm doesn't work for me while using amdgpu on Tahiti. gdm does though... It's already apparent noone tests a standard Ubuntu setup any more.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Advising someone to switch to a discontinued product (Ubuntu Gnome) because you think a continuing product (ubuntu) is going to be discontinued. I see your logic.
                No, there's no logic with you. Ubuntu Gnome is what Ubuntu will become. More or less.

Comment

Working...
                X