Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That includes you as well im afraid.

Comment

Main reason why I don't bother with GNOME is because to get the basic KDE configuration abilities you have from install, you need to install like 5-10 'extensions' which also means you must search google for ages trying to figure out the names and features for these extensions, quite a pain in the butt if you ask me!

Comment

Guest Pontostroy stoped his work on opensuse, right, but immidiatly multiple people took over. So still easy access to mesa llvm etc stuff on leap and tumbleweed. Just look at the repo list https://software.opensuse.org/package/Mesa
        Last edited by tomtomme; 23 June 2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

The worst thing with Linux is its many users who just „love“ to to tear each other apart over a secondary thing: which desktop interface or distribution was better or not.

Instead of being thankful that with Linux they can choose the desktop interface or distribution at all and that they share the same primary thing: Linux kernel and Linux applications.

Why even rant about what desktop interface or distribution your fellow Linux user uses. How unnecessary is this.

I love my Xubuntu distribution and I don't mind at all you using another desktop or another distribution, as long as it is Linux we're in the same boat. No good idea to try to throw overboard each other. But for some people the expression „each other“ isn't existing, because they only know „I“ and „me“.

Sometimes Michael must have a hard time working for Linux and OSS so much and then having to read ungrateful and silly comments in his (!) forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Nobody cares about opinions of random users on Phoronix.
            Nobody cares about random users opinions of opinions random users on Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              What's the point of even running Ubuntu anymore?
              For typical user there's probably no point to run Ubuntu at this moment. He/she should rather switch to Kubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome or XFCE spin and so on. I wouldn't be running something that will be discontinued soon. However, what's the best from Ubuntu is it base (and that's why I prefer to use Kubuntu over OpenSuSe, Ubuntu Gnome over Fedora etc). Thanks to it it's very easy to install third party codecs and drivers. There are also a lot of PPA's which let you keep your favorite software up to date without touching the core system parts. It's also very stable and well supported.
              Last edited by Guest; 23 June 2017, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                However, what's the best from Ubuntu is it base (and that's why I prefer to use Kubuntu over OpenSuSe, Ubuntu Gnome over Fedora etc). Thanks to it it's very easy to install third party codecs and drivers. There are also a lot of PPA's which let you keep your favorite software up to date without touching the core system parts. It's also very stable and well supported.
                Doing some permutations to show that also in OpenSUSE the situation is the same.

However, what's the best from OpenSUSE is it base (and that's why I prefer to use OpenSUSE). Thanks to it it's very easy to install third party codecs and drivers. There are also a lot of OBS's which let you keep your favorite software up to date without touching the core system parts. It's also very stable and well supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

For typical user there's probably no point to run Ubuntu at this moment. He/she should rather switch to Kubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome or XFCE spin and so on. I wouldn't be running something that will be discontinued soon. However, what's the best from Ubuntu is it base (and that's why I prefer to use Kubuntu over OpenSuSe, Ubuntu Gnome over Fedora etc). Thanks to it it's very easy to install third party codecs and drivers. There are also a lot of PPA's which let you keep your favorite software up to date without touching the core system parts. It's also very stable and well supported.
                  Advising someone to switch to a discontinued product (Ubuntu Gnome) because you think a continuing product (ubuntu) is going to be discontinued. I see your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    If they want to use a wayland session as a default or even an option they have to either switch to GDM or rewrite LightDM to run under Wayland. GDM running under wayland can launch both X and wayland sessions, while the same GDM forced to run under X can only launch X sessions. Thus, a wayland session requires a wayland session manager, unless like Weston it can bu launched from a text console.
                    LightDM can start Wayland sessions while running on X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

LightDM can start Wayland sessions while running on X11.
                      Yes indeed. The problem is that Gnome Shell is so tightly integrated with GDM that it would take too much effort to rewrite LightDM to provide the minimal level of integration to have Gnome Shell run, and since Canonical is no longer in the personal computing business, ain't nobody got time for that. It's classic embrace-and-extend: with Gnome you're their bitch and they want you to take it all or you don't get any. It's OK though, a lot of people here like it like that and most people just use Microsoft or Apple products and aren't affected.

Comment

Working...
                      X