Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Takes To RadeonSI Tweaking For Unigine Superposition

Phoronix: Marek Takes To RadeonSI Tweaking For Unigine Superposition

It looks like one of the latest test targets for well known AMD open-source developer Marek Olšák is Unigine Superposition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, what? Quality "Extreme" at higher resolution faster than "Ultra"? Were there any rendering glitches during the benchmark?

Comment

Why is the variable called R600_... instead of just RADEON_... for example.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Why is the variable called R600_... instead of just RADEON_... for example.
        Because there are at least four separate drivers for different sets of Radeon-branded cards. The "Radeon" driver is for quite-old ATI cards AFAIK.

Comment

Haven't seen sisched mentioned lately. Any new developments going on with this aside from this article? For example is there any plan to get it to a point where it's made the default option?

I love performance optimizations but it seems everything being done needs some environment variable set and I'm getting really fed up of that kind of thing.

Gamers want to game. They don't want to keep track of a million different environment variables for each of their games to run with decent performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
            I love performance optimizations but it seems everything being done needs some environment variable set and I'm getting really fed up of that kind of thing.

Gamers want to game. They don't want to keep track of a million different environment variables for each of their games to run with decent performance.
            Lolwhat? The Apple store is that way <----- check out that new iMac, so shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
              Haven't seen sisched mentioned lately. Any new developments going on with this aside from this article? For example is there any plan to get it to a point where it's made the default option?
              No, sisched is mostly dead at this point, but it's good to have it sometimes, like in this case.

There is no best solution to everything. Some "optimizations" improve some games and hurt others.

Environment variables don't give better performance in all cases. If they did, we would make it the default setting.

Comment

All the work he has been doing on his own over the last two years for MESA is just out of this planet. Infinite thanks and respect for Marek and also the other open source contributors.

Comment

I don't see much value in tweaking the driver in a way, that it affects only a specific benchmark. Drivers should be good at real applications, not at running benchmarks. If it was an optimization where also other applications can benefit from, that would be a real win.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                    I don't see much value in tweaking the driver in a way, that it affects only a specific benchmark. Drivers should be good at real applications, not at running benchmarks. If it was an optimization where also other applications can benefit from, that would be a real win.
                    We often consider optimizing benchmarks cheating, too... I mean that's more common an accusation in the Android world, I suppose, with companies like OnePlus. But I mean if sisched is almost dead, rarely used, not going to be the default... but we're using it specifically to optimize benchmarks?

I like the iMac quote above... It's incredibly original. Don't like the complexities of Linux? Use a Mac! That joke has never been used before. Also good thing the joke makes so much sense because clearly, as we all know, Macs are the ONLY platform on which you can game with good performance without environment variables. (My 290x on Linux isn't even generally that good a performer at 1080p in many games, but it's fine in Windows 7 - obviously without any sort of environment variable changes, and the only settings I change in the drivers are to turn all quality options to maximum. Haven't owned a Nvidia card since Fermi refresh but I don't remember feeling much of a performance upgrade in Linux when I swapped it for my 290x).

There are times when I feel like messing with environment variables and driver settings. There are times when I'd like to relax and play a video game. There is ZERO overlap in those two scenarios.

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    Environment variables don't give better performance in all cases. If they did, we would make it the default setting.
                    I understand that, but following the news specifically for Radeon drivers on Linux, a LOT of work appears to be going on involving environment variables and application-specific optimizations. AMD drivers are the only ones I see being discussed with using various environment variables to improve performance to a point that is still not very good. I'm not saying you're wrong to do this thing but your answer doesn't really help me understand it (which is fine in itself; our opinions don't have to be the same).

I have seen some updates from developers like you and Timothy Arceri lowering CPU usage of Mesa and I do very much appreciate those improvements that are useful in a general sense.
                    Last edited by Holograph; 22 June 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X