Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core X-Series Lifts, Linux Benchmarks Forthcoming

Phoronix: Intel Core X-Series Lifts, Linux Benchmarks Forthcoming

Last month at Computex Intel announced the Core-X series with up to 18 core configurations. The first of these new processors are preparing to ship and the embargo has just lifted concerning reviews and performance details...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what's the motherboard, memory and PSUs being used?
    And... No more low-end Corsair/EVGA PSUs please! They are ODMs from HEC/CWT which is very bad in performance and quality.
    Use products from Delta Electronics instead.
    Last edited by qsmcomp; 19 June 2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qsmcomp View Post
      So what's the motherboard, memory and PSUs being used?
      And... No more low-end Corsair/EVGA PSUs please! Use products from Delta Electronics instead.
      MSI X299 SLI PLUS and not sure what other motherboard samples I may be getting in the days ahead either.

Usually always use Corsair memory.

Unfortunately don't have much of a budget for the higher-end PSUs with not reviewing them anymore, etc, so do have many Corsair and eVGA PSUs for their price.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

MSI X299 SLI PLUS and not sure what other motherboard samples I may be getting in the days ahead either.

Usually always use Corsair memory.

Unfortunately don't have much of a budget for the higher-end PSUs with not reviewing them anymore, etc, so do have many Corsair and eVGA PSUs for their price.
        I bought "Delta NX550" 550W PSU yesterday on jd.com for only 359 Renminbi Yuan (~52USD). That's a cheap but super durable PSU from Delta which supports dual CPUs.
        X299 with i9-7900X is very power consuming. Should use units with multiple 12V rails which supports dual CPUs.

And that MSI X299 SLI PLUS has only one 8pin EPS 12V for CPU, that's not enough for future i9-7980XE models and overclocking.
        Last edited by qsmcomp; 19 June 2017, 09:18 AM. Reason: Comments on motherboard

Comment

Very nice! Looking forward to the Timed Linux compilation results What else is a CPU used for anyway?

Comment

That's pretty cool Intel sent out samples. I know they usually do, but this isn't cheap stuff and doesn't appeal to a wide market. Are they sending you the motherboard too, or did you have to buy that yourself?

Anyway seems Intel is really doing whatever they can to get people's attention toward i9 and away from Threadripper. i9 is an objectively worse product but that won't matter as long as people (especially the impatient ones) think it's the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              That's pretty cool Intel sent out samples. I know they usually do, but this isn't cheap stuff and doesn't appeal to a wide market. Are they sending you the motherboard too, or did you have to buy that yourself?

Anyway seems Intel is really doing whatever they can to get people's attention toward i9 and away from Threadripper. i9 is an objectively worse product but that won't matter as long as people (especially the impatient ones) think it's the only option.
              Just the CPUs. I pre-ordered the MSI X299 SLI PLUS this morning while waiting to see if any of my mobo contacts are going to come through.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just the CPUs. I pre-ordered the MSI X299 SLI PLUS this morning while waiting to see if any of my mobo contacts are going to come through.
                This mobo is really bad if you want to test i9-7980XE with it this autumn.
                You should select a mobo with dual 8pin EPS 12V input. The i9's power hungry.

You should also select a mobo with dual 8pin EPS 12V input for the future Threadripper / X399 mobo.
                Last edited by qsmcomp; 19 June 2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

This mobo is really bad if you want to test i9-7980XE with it this autumn.
                  You should select a mobo with dual 8pin EPS 12V input. The i9's power hungry.
                  The board is just fine for his testing purposes. If you haven't noticed, he doesn't do much overclocking, because that's not the attraction of Phoronix. If you want to see the true potential of an i9, there are dozens of hardware review sites out there you can go to. What Michael should be testing is how well this CPU and chipset perform in open-source OSes compared to Windows and other hardware.

Comment

I bought "Delta NX550" 550W PSU yesterday on jd.com for only 359 Renminbi Yuan (~52USD). That's a cheap but super durable PSU from Delta which supports dual CPUs.
                    X299 with i9-7900X is very power consuming. Should use units with multiple 12V rails which supports dual CPUs.
                    I don't think Delta sells retail products in the US. They do make many OE power supplies for Dell, HP, IBM servers, and have a reputation for good quality. But no standard ATX power supplies for PC builders available here, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Working...
                    X