Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Popular Linux News Of The Past 13 Years

Phoronix: The Most Popular Linux News Of The Past 13 Years

One week from today marks Phoronix's 13th birthday and for the occasion will be a number of recap articles plus a number of new, large hardware comparisons, some special benchmarks, and more. But for getting things kicked off this week, let's begin by looking back at the most popular articles in the past 13 years on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seeing this article summary is kind of depressing

"With the EXT4 file-system being marked as stable in the forthcoming Linux 2.6.28 kernel, and some Linux distributions potentially switching to it as an interim step until the btrfs file-system is ready"

I mean, I use btrfs for my personal stuff, but obviously there's not enough trust in it to put it up by default. Maybe I've just been lucky with it so far, or just not using the features which break.

Comment

I expected Athlon64 to be there, but that was 14 years ago

Comment

What is the metric to rank them? Page views? Is amazing that some old articles are the most popular of all time

Some are controversial subject, some are breakthrough at the time, but maybe the release of windows vista at the time increased the interest of linux as an alternative

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          What is the metric to rank them? Page views? Is amazing that some old articles are the most popular of all time

Some are controversial subject, some are breakthrough at the time, but maybe the release of windows vista at the time increased the interest of linux as an alternative
          Yes, page view.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Yes, page view.
            Ah, we will never know if those who open a page actually read it It probably more have to do with some terms used there so rating on search engines.

I think that most who search for something for example on google search, just click on whatever is on first page but probably not so much interested in its context

He, he if i search right now for let say "linux gpu" i get this article from 17 September 2015:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-b-value&num=1

So i clicked on it, maybe started reading maybe not but fast figured out it is not what i am looking for so move on... and now that is more popular Linux News

It is a wording used there in title, as when you say "The Best, Most Efficient... whatever blah blah" that is always The Best, Most popular also . Write all articles starting with "The Best" and you will see everybody clicked on that The Most

But never starts with "The Worst, " as people does not like that even when it is true

"The Best" has near 5 billion hits
            "The Average" is at 1.2 billion.
            "The Worst" just 0.25 billion

That looks like steam survey where 95% use The Best OS and 5% else The Worst OS On The Average someone needs to reinvent mathematics

So, what would be popular but worse than The Worst? I knew it:

"The Shit" just shy 0.05 billion
            "Ubuntu" this scores double better than The Shit so 0.1 billion
            "Linux" triple better than Ubuntu at 0.3 billion

That probably means how 1/3 of Linux users use Ubuntu, but move on...

And now something very interesting:

"Windows" is slight above 2 billion
            "Android" is near 3 billion

Said Google's search, you know. Hmm, even these does not yet bitten The Best... But that is where real math comes in as Windows+Android equals number of hits of The Best

And Michael should write article about this Eureka! discovery - i suggest title as The Best of The Shit
            Last edited by dungeon; 29 May 2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arbition View Post
              I mean, I use btrfs for my personal stuff, but obviously there's not enough trust in it to put it up by default. Maybe I've just been lucky with it so far, or just not using the features which break.
              Since recently, openSUSE uses BTRFS by default (and its snapshotting features) on the root partition.

BTRFS is also the official filesystem on the mer core, and thus is used for Jolla's first SailfishOS-powered smartphone.
              (But, having been burned by some of the BTRFS weirdness - mainly free space handling on a tiny ~12GiB flash device[1] - they switched to Ext4+LVM as a snapshotting solution for the Jolla Tablet and Jolla C smartphone).

----

Tip for any Jolla user : convert the metedata block group profile from "dup" to "single" :
              Code:
              btrfs balance -v -f -mconvert=single /
              "dup" (keep 2 copies of the metadata) is completely useless on flash media, because the flash translation layer/wear levelling system will group the writes together, and both copies will end up inside the same flash erase block (so in case of flash age/corruption you'll lose both together at the same time anyway), completely negating the purpose of having 2 distinct copies.
              modern versions of mkfs.btrfs will automatically use dup for rotationnal media, and single for flash media, but not back when Jolla smartphone was produced.

Comment

Kind of sad that MiracleCast never went anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                  Funny, I was expecting some Gnome 3 or Mir/Unity controversies to come up among them. I guess popcorn has become too expensive in the last few years.
                  Now that you've said that, I'm thinking, perhaps it is the case that on controversial articles, the ratio of responses to views is high, but that those who don't have strong opinions pass it by completely. The old case of the loud voices perceived to represent the majority.

Comment

Working...
                  X