Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of War III Will See Vulkan Support On Linux

Phoronix: Dawn of War III Will See Vulkan Support On Linux

Feral Interactive has announced next month's Dawn of War III Linux port will see both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what about vulkan vs opengl performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      I should have benchmarks on launch day.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It will be about the same. Vulkan won't be able to stretch its legs with a translation layer on top.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It will be about the same. Vulkan won't be able to stretch its legs with a translation layer on top.
          That's not exactly right - if their Mad Max port is any indication, Vulkan can free up a lot of CPU time - at least it did on my rig. Moreover, I'm not sure Feral uses a dumb translation layer such as eON. Now they're probably using a translation layer as the game makes use of a DX11-optimized engine, but if current games are any indication, DX11 games ported (with layers) to DX12 do show improvements on CPU overhead at the very least.

Comment

Or installing linux on mac to see vulkan vs metal

Comment

But will the multiplayer be cross platform

Comment

These Feral Vulkan ports (like Mad Max) I suspect are going to consistently outperform their openGL ports and have less driver issues etc.

But the thing is all these games which Feral gets their hands on are still made by other devs as directX titles and then handed over to Feral after the fact to port with a deadline.
                So they will still be slower than the directX versions.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  These Feral Vulkan ports (like Mad Max) I suspect are going to consistently outperform their openGL ports and have less driver issues etc.

But the thing is all these games which Feral gets their hands on are still made by other devs as directX titles and then handed over to Feral after the fact to port with a deadline.
                  So they will still be slower than the directX versions.
                  would be possible to play these games by directX in linux considering that mesa implements directx?

Comment

would be possible to play these games by directX in linux considering that mesa implements directx?
                    Mesa only implements DX9, and these games require DX11.

Comment

Working...
                    X