Radeon VCN Video Decode Support Lands In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    VP9 is not relevant at this point because it has no real-world use other than Google's own infrastructure.
    only vp9 is relevant because it is default codec of youtube(most viewed video site)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      But it would be much different if that codec were standardized by MPEG, ITU, or some other recognized standards body. Google has apparently recognized this, and submitted VP9 to the AV-1 workgroup, as did Mozilla (Daala) and Cisco (Thor) to create a vendor-independent open standard.
      you've got it backwards. aomeida is(was) not some recognized standards body. aomedia was just google, mozilla and cisco joining efforts to develop best open video codec

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        And its totally uninteresting since it can't use the encoding features (and not even decoding is fully supported) and its limited to Linux.
        VAAPI does support encoding... Not sure where you got the impression that it doesn't.

It's possible that ffmpeg doesn't support it or that the Radeon drivers don't support it, but VAAPI definitely supports encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          VAAPI does support encoding... Not sure where you got the impression that it doesn't.
          Because AMD Radeon don't support it. And not even all decoding features are supported.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          encoding is much more rare than decoding, i.e. who cares
          You pay for this feature. And only because you think its rare, it does mean that is is rare. Most gamer that are streaming are using the hardware encoder or you can use it for Video Chat and so on.

Last edited by Nille; 26 May 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Slight correction: Daala is part of Xiph and SPONSORED by Mozilla, meaning Mozilla gives them money. It's not created by Mozilla and Mozilla doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever for it!

Sidenote (not a correction per se): VP* CODECs were created by ON2 which Google bought, so it is legitimately Google's now, but people give them credit as if they always owned the VP* codecs. They continued them.

Pet peeve of mine. Give the proper people credit for their work.
            Last edited by Holograph; 26 May 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
              Go do your software decoding on a raspberry pi (v1). The computing world is bigger than stupidphones and PCs. not to mention better energy efficiency of fixed pipeline decoding
              If you have actually read my post you would've seen that I'm not against fixed function blocks. I'm just for relevant codecs.

Because AMD Radeon don't support it. And not even all decoding features are supported.
              Stop telling this nonsense already. I've already said that you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                I've already said that you're wrong.
                That is fine thats i'm Wrong, but now, where is the windows support and the stuff for ffmpeg?

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                  Slight correction: Daala is part of Xiph and SPONSORED by Mozilla, meaning Mozilla gives them money. It's not created by Mozilla and Mozilla doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever for it!
                  That's an odd opinion.

Comment

That is fine thats i'm Wrong, but now, where is the windows support and the stuff for ffmpeg?
                    What stuff for ffmpeg? DXVA doesn't support encoding, that's not AMD's fault, is it? You know, they actually have their branch supporting UVD and VCE because of exactly this: https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF

If you mean VA-API encoding, it is in mainline ffmpeg, just use it.

Comment

Did you take a look on this? Its useless. It uses some parts of ffmpeg but its not integrated in ffmpeg.

Comment

Working...
                      X