No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bug77 Yeah, we do not have clear numbers, but we can get a somewhat semi-acurate picture based on number of DE's, it's forks and so on. I agree that such discussion is dragging down threads and annoys people tho.

starshipeleven It can be better than polls, it ireally depends on specific situation, that's what I've tried to explain. Also, I don't like when my sentences are ripped out of contexts, so I apologize for not following your method of discussion, you did ripped few out of context.

Yes, those are OS independent statistics, however, they are not pointless to GNU/Linux, I did bring them up to point out at the fact that depending on geographical areas (and source ofc., but we know about sources already), statistics could be quite different, so that whole thing is in one sentence and relates to your other question/quote of you asking me about "without doubt" thing considering KDE, sure, you can say it is my own speculation, but what here isn't speculation? This is informed speculation, based on common sense and experience, I really doubt tehre would be anyone who would argue that KDE is more popular (in percentage) in any other place compaered to it.

Well, as i said, polls are nonsense,a dn you can make it to be whatever you want to be, and it is very dependent on env. where youa re doing the poll, and yes, both factors are included, KDE Plasma jsut coming out, and GNOME 3 being much worse than what it is now, but i think KDE Plasma just coming out is more relevant factor, since it was even biger buggy mess back then (i tried it at that time), especially on Ubuntu.

Well I disagree with you here, "distro hoppers" are not unusual thing at all considering those downloads, but you might have a point here, since msot people who install Arch know what they want, and they tend to do less "distro hopping", still, argument of location still stands, and I am not sure about Manjaro, I know it have it's own repositories, and I'm not sure if it shares enough Arch repositories to make an impact on those statistics.

Why would I be buthurt? I liked Cinnamon (till X apps, idk what they are thinking with it...), but that doesn't change the fact it is GNOME-based distro, in fact GNOME-3 based distro, if we speak about MATE, it is copy paste of gnome 2, with some improvements and quite a bit of developement, so, if it walks like a duck...., what Griffin is talking about is something else, I am not a fanboy of anything, I'm using what works for me, while it is true that GTK+ does not equal GNOME, it is also true that GNOME project did GTK toolikt, and that most DE's use that toolkit not because GNOME Project developers used gun on their head and made them use it, but because other reasons. If you want example of DE moving to QT toolkit, you have great example with Budgie DE, it's GNOME-based DE, it is practically GNOME 3 without shell, with Budgie-panel, similar to what Cinnamon is, now let's see where that project togheter with Solus would lead, I do not want to make any predictions.

Cinnamon and MATE are completely different, as i said already, Cinnamon is based on GNOME 3 while MATE is based on GNOME 2, however, MATE developers transitioned it to GTK3+ toolkit, still gnome 2 base tho. Cinnamon and Plasma have more in common layout/design than MATE and any of the two, at least default layout.

Comment

Currently 81 pages of extensions and Gnome is labelled as not configurable. You can bend it and shape it and theme it anyway your imagination can manage.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
        https://extensions.gnome.org/

Currently 81 pages of extensions and Gnome is labelled as not configurable. You can bend it and shape it and theme it anyway your imagination can manage.
        Before I give it a try again can anyone tell me if you can get rid of all the nonsense and just have a simple taskbar at the bottom of the screen with a normal pop up cascading categorized menu?

I tried it last year in a VM and wasn't able to do it. I only spent about half a day trying though because I figured if it was that difficult to make a simple desktop I didn't want to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

Usually I just Alt+RightClick and Drag.. this is how you're supposed to resize windows on Xfce.
          On KDE I reconfigure the window manager to use the super/Windows key instead of alt. This is because alt-right-click is the default key binding in Blender for loop-select, which is a very useful function.

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post

According to whose study?
            I think we can agree that all GUIs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Before I give it a try again can anyone tell me if you can get rid of all the nonsense and just have a simple taskbar at the bottom of the screen with a normal pop up cascading categorized menu?

I tried it last year in a VM and wasn't able to do it. I only spent about half a day trying though because I figured if it was that difficult to make a simple desktop I didn't want to support it.
              GNOME Flashback, it's part of the default GNOME install, you can select it from the GDM menu with that little gear icon.

Will the next customer please step up to the booth?

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

You can use Flashback as suggested above, but you can also simply add a menu and bottom task bar via extensions. Also turn off the hot corner and you have something like the old Gnome 2 but with all the modern goodies of GTK3. I also like Super Flat Remix Gnome Theme that makes the top menu transparent. My personal layout is to use the extension "TaskBar" to add a task bar to the top menu, "Dash to Dock" to add a side self hiding dock and "Removable Drives" which allows mounting and unmounting via a click on the top bar. The theme also makes the dock background transparent.

You configure most of Gnome by the app Tweak Tool, not the normal settings. I have also found making font scaling 1.10 makes the fonts render better.

Gnome Ubuntu adds many extensions to the default install, the rest are installed via Chrome or Firefox with the Gnome Extension extension and installing from https://extensions.gnome.org You just click on install on the web page - easy.

https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/ca.../1/ord/latest/ is a source of themes but they need to be put in a manually created ~/.themes folder

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
                  According to whose study?
                  MS's win8 market penetration, for starters. Main reason Windows 8 failed hard was the weird interface not suited for desktop pcs. GNOME3 has way too much resemblance to that.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                    you did ripped few out of context.
                    I take sentences out to make sure people know what part of their post I'm talking about. I don't copy the rest of the paragraph to save space.

Yes, those are OS independent statistics, however, they are not pointless to GNU/Linux, statistics could be quite different, so that whole thing is in one sentence and relates to your other question/quote of you asking me about "without doubt" thing considering KDE, sure, you can say it is my own speculation, but what here isn't speculation? This is informed speculation, based on common sense and experience,
                    I'm trying to get actual data even if crappy, and clean it up by aggregating it, that's not speculation, it's scientific method.
                    The result still kinda sucks but is more reliable than going by "common sense" and personal experience since it at least have a larger dataset.

I really doubt tehre would be anyone who would argue that KDE is more popular (in percentage) in any other place compaered to it.
                    In case you didn't notice, I am. Why should KDE be more popular in germany? For that matter there are at least a couple french distros that have it as main DE and you know french like stuff with a french website and all.

Well, as i said, polls are nonsense,a dn you can make it to be whatever you want to be, and it is very dependent on env.
                    As I said, I'm not counting the single poll, but the results of most polls I've seen (the ones that don't have obvious bias like asking only to Fedora users or similar).

And the result is "no clear winner".

Also, not to say KDE wasn't buggier too (I didn't switch until 5) but Ubuntu routinely got things wrong on KDE (and also Systemd in my experience and probably on other things) in multiple occasions. There is a reason if KDE people made their own ubuntu spin.

Well I disagree with you here, "distro hoppers" are not unusual thing at all considering those downloads, but you might have a point here, since msot people who install Arch know what they want, and they tend to do less "distro hopping",
                    I repeat, most people use their PC to do stuff, not as a test bed for software. This is always true.

still, argument of location still stands,
                    True but it is an issue only if german people massively prever KDE for some reason, and I have never seen evidence of that.

and I am not sure about Manjaro, I know it have it's own repositories, and I'm not sure if it shares enough Arch repositories to make an impact on those statistics.
                    AFAIK Manjaro and Chakra rebuild Arch from source and sign their own packages, so they should not have impact there.

Why would I be buthurt?
                    Because you started pulling GTK for the sake of showing GNOME is more common, when GNOME is a DE and not a desktop toolkit.
                    I'm not hating GNOME 3 because of the shape of its bars and buttons, or because of its internal program interfaces.

I liked Cinnamon (till X apps, idk what they are thinking with it...), but that doesn't change the fact it is GNOME-based distro, in fact GNOME-3 based distro, if we speak about MATE, it is copy paste of gnome 2, with some improvements and quite a bit of developement, so, if it walks like a duck....,
                    GNOME-based != GNOME 3.
                    Most people won't say MATE, Cinnamon and GNOME 3 are the same thing, they look quite different and it's not just a theme.

Minor nitpicking: I wouldn't call them GNOME-based, but GNOME fork. MATE took what was GNOME before the famous/infamous GNOME 3 UI redesign, Cinnamon forked and changed GNOME 3 to be as it was before and went off their own way. The result is quite different.

A GNOME-based DE would be Budgie, that is basically a bunch of patches changing the shell only, on top of upstream GNOME.

while it is true that GTK+ does not equal GNOME, it is also true that GNOME project did GTK toolikt, and that most DE's use that toolkit not because GNOME Project developers used gun on their head and made them use it, but because other reasons.
                    GTK is unrelated to UI choices that made GNOME 3 famous/infamous, it's a toolkit. I'm talking of DE, which is user interface and default programs like filemanager, not its rendering middleware.

Cinnamon and MATE are completely different, as i said already, Cinnamon is based on GNOME 3 while MATE is based on GNOME 2, however, MATE developers transitioned it to GTK3+ toolkit, still gnome 2 base tho. Cinnamon and Plasma have more in common layout/design than MATE and any of the two, at least default layout.
                    Dunno, I used MATE and XFCE for a long while and I find MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE and KDE (and Windows XP/7 for that matter) very similar in overall layout and design.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      Peppercats. Go figure. A usable linux desktop can't be heavily customizable. You will run out of developer resources.
                      Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      Oh. And as a big FU to those who claim Gnome can't be customized. Ubuntu will customize theme and add a few extensions to the session.
                      Griffin is starting to lose his grip.

Comment

Working...
                      X