No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muncrief , what file manager do you predominantly use on XFCE?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Peppercats. Go figure. A usable linux desktop can't be heavily customizable. You will run out of developer resources.
      KDE is the most usable desktop. If Gnome doesn't have enough menpower it's Gnome problem. However, how can you say Gnome is usable? It suffers from huge memory leaks and Mutter performance problems. What's worse those memory leaks aren't fixed since years. If they fix this mesd it will be quite good DE. However, I'm afraid main problems are in its core libraries.

Comment

leipero

How do you know most people don't configure their DE's? Oh, KDE is customizable and this is problem for you? For sane people lack of ability to customize is the problem. Gnome isn't customizable, because it's based on gtk crap which makes things really complicated. Don't fool us it's an advantage. It's huge downside.

Comment

Dungeon. Gnome 3.22 is ready for RHEL because Gnome is not overly bloated and unaudited like most KDE5 stuff.

KDE5 stuff is not allowed in SLE or RHEL because of this. See the point?
          Gnome is not audited at all and it's much more bloated than KDE. I showed you this before. It's just developed by Red Hat friendly guys and this is the reason it's enforced in distributions.

Comment

@griffin

So, you're denying facts, aren't you? They chose unstable DE with serious problems. I feel sorry for their users until problems are fixed. There's a chance Canonical will make Gnome usable again like they did with Gnome 2. However, I don't think they'll be able to fix technical problems like huge memory leaks all over the place.

Comment

Griffin

I can't even change basic things without gnome tweak, so what the hell are you talking about? There's also no point in making themes, because they break api all the time. Gnome app store is a joke application. Ubuntu has much better equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                xfce is barely usable. I'm surprised anyone puts up with it. It's damn near impossible to resize a window by click+dragging the corner of the window. You have to be laser pinpoint accurate and get your mouse pointer on the exact corner pixel. Unfortunately, I've found you have to resize windows often in xfce as they often open in inexplicably weird sizes. And then there's the broken tear-ridden compositor and random thunar crashes...

Not a Gnome fan, but it's 100 times better than that mess.
                Usually I just Alt+RightClick and Drag.. this is how you're supposed to resize windows on Xfce. You don't need that much precision if you do that.

Comment

Dungeon. Gnome 3.22 is ready for RHEL because Gnome is not overly bloated and unaudited like most KDE5 stuff.

KDE5 stuff is not allowed in SLE or RHEL because of this. See the point?
                  SLE or RHEL don't use KDE because they have SLAs that would need to cover them and they'd rather only support one DE. Huge difference, but also one beyond your comprehension.

As for this "audited" stuff, keep it up. One day you start believing it.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

The part: "With some tweaks and extensions".
                    A DE should have that by default. It's like stitching genitals to castrated person. I'm with you but on absolutely on the other side of the fence. I don't understand how DE that ships with pre-configured shortcut suite can be called innovative?
                    And it's not only about performance. Personally I'm Mate/Xfce user and I find those des superior to gnome3 anytime.
                    For me extensions is great feature. I can easily add/remove feature from my desktop, just like in web browser. KISS isn't it?

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    leipero

because it's based on gtk crap which makes things really complicated.
                    GTK complicate configuration of environment? It's only toolkit. Configuration options depends on application/DE developers. And what "break API" You meant? GTK 3 has stable API now. It won't be changed until GTK4.
                    Last edited by dragon321; 25 May 2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

^^^ Even editing your own posts eludes you. I'm not surprised.

Comment

Working...
                      X