No announcement yet.

David Airlie Is Bringing OpenGL 4.2 To More R600 Gallium3D Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pretty cool when one company can't simply kill off old hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

6k series (all) has OGL 4.5 with both windows drivers and fglrx. Everything that has no hardware support is implemented in software.
      Oh, yes... I misread the specs I've found. So, the way he is planning on doing OGL 4.2 is similar to what's done on Windows, right? With software implementation of FP64 and other unsupported stuff, right?

As for Intel, I think I was right... right?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Oh, yes... I misread the specs I've found. So, the way he is planning on doing OGL 4.2 is similar to what's done on Windows, right? With software implementation of FP64 and other unsupported stuff, right?

As for Intel, I think I was right... right?
        Probably. We'll see when it's done.

I have no idea about intel.

Comment

Good to see he's back for a moment from his Vulkan journey. r600g still has potential and there is a lot of HW out there that would benefit from improvements and feature completion.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
            Good news for me with my 5770 I'm curious if it is taking a similar approach to the one started with libSoftFloat https://github.com/Hopetech/libSoftFloat . I remember there being an article of that author submitting his work-in-progress to the mesa list.... But a cursory web perusal of the airlied repo suggests 'no' to me but I'm still not certain.
            You're on the 'right' track.
            I'm sure Elie would offer his latest work on 'libSoftFloat' (fp64) even for gallium (r600g).

Greetings,
            Dieter

BTW What do 'you' think who the 'Phoronix reader' was...;-)
            PPS My HD 6670/Turks XT is still around for testing.

Comment

This Airlie kid seems talented with the codes and stuff. I believe there is a great future ahead for him in kernel stuff and linux GPU.

PS.
              Dave SOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking grateful for this. After years of waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                I don't think Dave is working on FP64 at all in this branch. That's what Elie's libsoftfloat stuff would do, and i think everyone is agreed that is the way to go for that.

Dave here is working on the next stuff that will be needed after FP64 is added, in order to achieve GL 4.2 and 4.3 support. From there, I think 4.4 and 4.5 probably shouldn't be too difficult if they can get 4.3 working. 4.2 and 4.3 added a bunch of big and complicated features though, so that's going to take some work.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 24 May 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                  It's nice, but what is the max achievable OpenGL 4.x version for r600?
                  I believe the r600g driver supports 5 "generations" of hardware.

r600 and r700 are already maxed out at GL 3.3.

Evergreen, Northern Islands, and Cayman - the HD5000 and HD6000 branded cards not using rebranded old architectures - should be able to fully run GL 4.5, with the FP64 support needing to be emulated on some of the cards. The current status is the cards with native FP64 support can run 4.1, and the rest are at 3.3.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 24 May 2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't think Dave is working on FP64 at all in this branch. That's what Elie's libsoftfloat stuff would do, and i think everyone is agreed that is the way to go for that.

Dave here is working on the next stuff that will be needed after FP64 is added, in order to achieve GL 4.2 and 4.3 support. From there, I think 4.4 and 4.5 probably shouldn't be too difficult if they can get 4.3 working. 4.2 and 4.3 added a bunch of big and complicated features though, so that's going to take some work.
                    what he said :-)

Stuck on compute shaders not working at the moment, but yes not dealing with fp64 yet, Elie's stuff will do that.

Dave.

Comment

This is really good news cause I have a lot more pre-gcn hardware than GCN.

Comment

Working...
                      X