Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Turns 13 In Two Weeks - What Shall We Benchmark To Celebrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all you do, Michael.

Comment

Test every generation of AMD APU when the Zen based APU comes out.

Comment

I would like to see benchmark of Gnu vs Penguin, acceleration from 0-60 in most suitable environment for both, then 60-100, then free-fall acceleration, how well they could handle environment of the opposite side, suitable working temperature with MIN and MAX TDP and so on . It may sound silly, but now I'm genuinely interested in it .

Comment

I would like too see boot performance of Linux kernels, distros.
          On my Laptop it seems that each Ubuntu MATE is booting slower than the previous version, as reported by systemd.
          Last edited by Danny3; 09 September 2017, 03:50 AM.

Comment

IBM & Softlayer are offering a 30 day free on their POWER8 Cloud. You can order up a 8 or 10 core POWER8 with Ubuntu 14 LTS. They aren't offering the NVidia K80 option just yet. Just for context, Softlayer wants over $1k per month to rent these bare metals. $2400 per month for a 10c x 256Gb RAM. It would be interesting to see some of those threaded tests in PTS.

IBM Cloud with Red Hat offers market-leading security, enterprise scalability and open innovation to unlock the full potential of cloud and AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I would like too see boot performance olf Linux kernels, distros.
              On my Laptop it seems that each Ubuntu MATE is booting slower than the previous version, as reported by systemd.
              Interesting, I noticed MATE seemed a little slower on Ubuntu as well, but on Fedora 25 it's really fast and snappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                Test every generation of AMD APU when the Zen based APU comes out.
                x2 and don't forget about the Zen server/workstation chips that are due here in Q2 this year...

Comment

I'd like a transcoding special, tested with tvheadend/ffmpeg/mencoder: cpu-only and gpuçsupported.
                  aim: lowest power-rated CPU for one stable stream up to nice xeons with amd/nvidia. There're only partial tests to be found in the web, based on personal experience.

Comment

Cold boot, reboot and shutdown times would be great for a benchmark.

While I'm for example happy with the Ubuntu 17.04 performance it would be nice to see if another distribution would boot faster or have a faster shutdown.
                    On 16.10 shutdown was for example a bigger problem for me, too often I closed the laptop lid while the shutdown wasn't done (which stopped the shutdown).

Comment

How about, just for destruction fun, some drop tests of some of your old junk computers?
                      You might be able to monetise the youtube videos of the destruction!

p.s. be sure you have some slo-mo cameras.

Comment

Working...
                      X