Linux GPU Driver Issues Are Still Holding Up Games In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

OSX unlike Linux works beautifully and everything just works on it, sure you need expensive Apple hardware to run it, but it is closest to a perfect OS as it is currently possible, Unix base so its secure and reliable, user friendly, everything works and there is a lot of open source and proprietary applications for it. It is not open source, but you cant argue about its strong points.
    OS X is piece of crap in comparison to Linux. It's desktop OS since beginning, but has never reached significant market share on desktops. Linux is quite new on desktops and has only little lower market share. OS X is closest to shittiest OS ever! It's not secure at all, not reliable, not user friendly and it simply sucks in graphic support. It's slow cow and it's years behind Linux.

Android superior? Give me a break, I used iOS and Android and Android has NOTHING on iOS who performs buttery smooth and stable, overall quality of iPhone applications is also greater than those on Android, sure expensive and closed source, but Android cannot compare when it comes to user experience, 5 year updates are also a big advantage, Android has occasional lags on even the most powerful devices, battery life is also better on iOS and yes I tried Nexus with Google's "vanilla" Android and it still does not compare to iOS.
    Yep, Android is superior to iOS. It took iOS a lot of time to learn multitasking.

Ps. there are far more problems with games on OS X. It's just a garbage.
    Last edited by Guest; 21 May 2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Well to be honest its a lack of quality drivers and game patches if you ask me. Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation amongst many others could be much much better on Linux. While I still game in Linux and enjoy it its far far from the enjoyment and richness of gaming in Windows 10.

Yea I am being honest if you really want to PC game use windows. I use linux most the time and tend to want to stay in linux and thats where I start gaming in it but when I feel the urge for a rich PC gaming experience I boot to windows 10. You know what? I am thankful I have windows 10.

I like having options and don't want to limit myself to just one operating system. That is where the PC shines. That is coming from someone who has been using Linux for over 15 years and minus one year of that it was exclusive Linux but no longer so don't feel bad if you game in windows,

I am hardcore Linux. I like freedom of choice and that is exactly what I feel the philosophy of Linux is "Freedom of Choice.".

Ok now I am going to go play the game Prey on my Playstation 4. :P
      Last edited by creative; 21 May 2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        So how do you like the fact that a properly written application for Windows may work for up to twenty years (a lot of Win32 applications for Windows 95 work just fine in Windows 10) without recompilation
        There are games for windows XP that don't work on Windows 7. If you demand "properly written" applications on windows, do the same for linux.

Comment

I think all platforms have bugs and Windows has many. The difference for me is in the approach developers take when facing the bugs. On Windows, big publisher names can push hardware manufacturers to fix their drivers fast for a big release. Smaller publishers will release the game with workarounds when needed to avoid delaying a release, improving later with updates when the drivers get fixed.

Linux is different because developers and hardware companies don't care enough. Simply, there's not that much income at stake. They will resort easily to excuses when something doesn't work as intended. I appreciate that developers want to make the game look good from day 1 but that's not how they would go with a Windows release. I think they wouldn't hold it while waiting for a driver fix.

I partially understand because we're a minority but we're very vocal about issues, so putting out something that isn't as good as its Windows version can give some bad reputation and the gains are low.

This is just my feeling.

Comment

This thread is another perfect example of herd mentality. People chose Linux and now they try to justify their choice even in the face of hard evidence that Linux as a gaming platform/software platform is a failure. You see "arguments" like, "but I'm content with the games which have been ported so far", "I don't need AAA games", "PS4 also has some games not ported to Windows", "It's not Linux drivers problems, but incorrectly coded games" – all of which are pure BS because for the most part they don't exist in proprietary OSes but who cares?

I know it's hard to admit that ISVs refuse to target a moving platform where API/ABI compatibility is practically a joke, where you have dozens of incompatible distros, where you have several packaging formats, etc. etc .etc. It's really a sad, cold picture – yet I'm called a troll for calling out the critical Linux issues.

OK, I've made it all up. Now tell me how can I configure the voltage curve of my GPU in Linux? That's trivially done in Windows. There are actually dozens of things that can be done in Windows that cannot be done in Linux but who cares? It's all someone's (not Linux or its developers) fault. The Linux/underdog mentality is always to blame someone else rather than to admit that your beloved entity is an underdog for a reason. Anyways, who am I preaching to? Some random dudes who've done nothing for Linux. Off to better pastures where sane people converse. Like the comments section of the same website.
            And once again Linux is just a kernel, linux kernel drivers comes with the kernel package because development is more practical as things otherwise breaks and if driver is third party it would break even more People who think that kernel is OS are wrong, of course essential part but again it is just part of it. Also there is no such a thing as Linux desktop, nope that is freedesktop, etc... Use proper names and you will understand things much better, because this way you misses a point .

You sounds exactly as your compliants should be addresed to freedesktop and not linux:

See there linux is just a kernel and you complain about fdo And even then some flaws are not freedesktop flaws, but some buggy libraries which try to makes thing easier, like SDL, etc... some of the issues are SDL bugs and so on.
            Last edited by dungeon; 21 May 2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Please remind me how many AAA titles does Linux get. 1% or less? I don't care about Indie games - I don't play them, but out of over 60 games that I've bought on Steam only 5 are available for Linux. Tell me more about gaming in Linux, please. I'm all ears.

Oh and zero games that I own in UPlay and Origin are available for Linux. Amazing!
              You make me smile. You're not part of any solution. You're just the b*tchy girlfriend for whom there is never enough to please. So please fire up your Win 10 and get lost for years in your AAA games, you awesome stud you.

Comment

IMO most Linux distros install fine with functional drivers most times. The whole EFI setup can catch you off guard at times. The biggest annoyance for me is I must subscribe to testing branches or even development branches in order to get the optimal performance gains for my AMD card, 99% of people won't be doing that. It can take 2months for mesa patches and fixes to arrive in any distro, even rolling ones.

MESA is one of those things that needs to be kept BLEEDING EDGE, couple that with latest kernel for AMDGPU fixes. Not a easy thing to achieve. (mesa-git still fails on KDE/Plasma login....)

(then the other issue of having to use custom environment launch flags for many games to get best performance, such as OGL overrides and such...)

Comment

If people really understand things they will more complain to FDO, SDL, SystemD, PulseAudio, Composite and so on than about linux Even phoronix-test-suite have some slowdowns, there is no perfect benchmark other than something you benchmarked for yourself

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  (mesa-git still fails on KDE/Plasma login....)
                  He, he, Poettering again Recently i readed some bug has been "fixed" in Debian 9 MATE, and now people can't change wallpapers anymore

Anyway 16 cores / 32 threads CPUs are soon with us and also 8K is the future, so who cares when Doom just crashed on nVidia SLI

Last edited by dungeon; 22 May 2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    (then the other issue of having to use custom environment launch flags for many games to get best performance, such as OGL overrides and such...)
                    And then people complain when FGLRX/AMDGPU-PRO Catlayst/Radeon Software in general even on Windows (and there much more) making app profiles

And then suddenly after that newer version of the app fixed bug, but profile stay and people complain as to why driver is broken. They are trying to help you but people still complain particulary these with rolling shoes

Sieg Heil Poettering

Ave Lennart ... should 2 videos per post work. lets check...

Last edited by dungeon; 21 May 2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      why did you buy not yet supported card? you made not smart decision. luckily you can't do that again, since amd now supports new hardware on release day.
                      you've made this up, games do not need 4.5 compatibility profiles.
                      you don't have it. it is not for you. forget about its existence
                      you are lunatic. amd had 5 years backlog of cards, now it has release day support and driver which destroys nvidia blob in mad max
                      lol, that is why valve hires more people to work on amd drivers
                      stop gibbering moron, and take your haloperidol; there are in fact number of Linux games on steam that say they require OpenGL 4.x / 4.5; without it the game either a) won't run at all OR b) it might run with some issues; I think I have seen the OpenGL4.x / 4.5 requirement for example in Alien Isoloation, Metro.

Comment

Working...
                      X