Mesa 17.1 Will Use A 1GB Shader Cache Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

To be fair, in the 80's, to a computer have a HDD it must be a high end IBM PC or Apple Machintosh, well north of $1,000. All of the low end machines, like 8 and 16 bits computers (Apple II, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST) only have a ROM ship with a very simple SO and Basic. Storage was handled by floppy disks and/or cassetes.

So his joke made sense in the 80's.
    Not necessarily so. In the early-80's, my father worked for DEC and we had a Pro350 (where I learned BASIC) and one of the first Rainbow100's (in addition to PC-Jr, RatShack and other "personal computers"). Glorious 5MB hard drives that must've weighed in at 10lbs. I actually took my Rainbow to college in '84, only kid on campus with anything besides a IIc in his room. Even one of our computer labs was filled with Rainbows and good 'ole Turbo Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      There already is via
      MESA_GLSL_CACHE_MAX_SIZE
      Thank you!

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

While I am not saying you are wrong, how do you know 1GB isn't enough?
      You are true, I don't know why 1GB isn't enough. It's compared to 10%, 1GB seems a bit small.

But assuming a gamer playing a lot of AAA games, I think it would take more than 1GB.

Comment

A shader cache of 1 GB is huge, why would you need more?

Comment

My Shader Cache on Windows has currently 116MB, so i guess 1GB is more than enough for the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Noee View Post

Not necessarily so. In the early-80's, my father worked for DEC and we had a Pro350 (where I learned BASIC) and one of the first Rainbow100's (in addition to PC-Jr, RatShack and other "personal computers"). Glorious 5MB hard drives that must've weighed in at 10lbs. I actually took my Rainbow to college in '84, only kid on campus with anything besides a IIc in his room. Even one of our computer labs was filled with Rainbows and good 'ole Turbo Pascal.
            Wow, I bet you drove a Mercedes in college back them, hum? (just kidding). But PC clones were expensive back then. Imagine that a typical "cheap" 8 bit machine like the Commodore 64 cost $595 (~$1,600 today) at the launch in 1984, and it did not came with a floppy disk driver, much less a HDD. It makes you chuckle to think the machine you can buy with that money today.

Comment

You folks crack me up. I make a 5 minute 1500 frame render of a basic scene in Blender for particles after baking their physics and I'm eating 160GB of disk space.

Comment

A time limit based cache seems like the best plan to me. Let the size grow to whatever (stop if disk space is low of course) as long as the shaders have been used in the last week or month or whatever time is chosen.

And since a lot of people disable atime on their filesystems (because generating disk writes when reading files is silly) then if statfs f_flags shows ST_NOATIME the shader cache can use another file to track it or use system calls to update the file access times.

Or it could generate a new cache directory every month and copy shaders from the last month's directory to the new one on use. Delete the entire cache directory from two months ago when making the new one. All kinds of methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  You folks crack me up. I make a 5 minute 1500 frame render of a basic scene in Blender for particles after baking their physics and I'm eating 160GB of disk space.
                  I guess RX customer wouldn't ever understand need of PRO, let alone INSTINCT

And where are APUs there, embedded, etc... there are lot of reasons to laugh
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 April 2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    For your shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
                      The 1GB limit could be attained fast - except if compression is activated. I don't remember if compiled shaders are currently compressed, what's the status? If it is, how much does a game like DE:MD (which is VERY heavy on shaders) take up?
                      It is compressed, ~30mb

see https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/153681.html

/edit:
                      see https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/153684.html for another real world example (133mb with heavier usage)

Comment

Working...
                      X