No announcement yet.

GRUB 2.02 Is Ready To Boot Your System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like GRUB to display a warning if UEFI Secure Boot is not enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The modular design even supports boot time audio. What's the problem?
      Takes 5 years for a stable release?...

Comment

REFIND + Clover + a million other. easier, more advanced, more eye pleasing.

Owned.

Comment

Clover + Refind a million times better then grub....

Google and try it out yourself, they are also super easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Takes 5 years for a stable release?...
            there's only so many developers doing Grub2, but even systemd has a Boot manager which may eventually superseede grub2 in Fedora . ( that im unsure of )

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
              I do like rEFInd.
              I actually use it to manage a multi-drive multi OS box.
              As I understand it though rEFInd can't do mdadm raid yet so I actually have rEFInd calling grub installed into a MBR.
              This is a bit of a pain for various reasons but until I move the root filesystem to a regular ext4 partition on an SSD, I don't have much choice I think. Even then, I still like to mdadm raid root.
              rEFInd can boot a grub-efi too, and if you have a RAID1 made with --metadata=0.90 it will also see the kernels in the drives normally (that setting limits the max size of the array to 2 TB but in most cases that's enough for the /root filesystem) as any other non-RAID-aware boot loader.

It can also read btrfs RAID1 (which is what I use).

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                By the way, I would be happy to do so, but there seems like no automation around this booting concept - last time I checked there was no packages that automate kernel registration in firmware loaders list and update initrd/vmlinuz files on EFI partition after kernel upgrade. This is sad, because for ARM such package is exist: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flash-kernel
                also cj.wijtmans wanted that.

Again I don't see why you couldn't just make a script that does this, flash-kernel is just a script that automates flashing of kernel/initramfs/uimage in a flash partition.

You can recycle the efibootmanager manipulation parts from rEFInd's installer script, for example https://sourceforge.net/p/refind/cod...refind-install
                or just write your own by looking at efibootmanager docs/tutorials.

Then, for bonus points, you only need to find a good way to trigger this after a new kernel has been installed/removed so it runs automatically.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 April 2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  That it supports morse code beeps and not a proper GUI with icons.

That it needs to be manually updated for each distro change, it does not automatically scan for stuff.
                  edit: good to know that there is refind, did not know about it.
                  Last edited by tomtomme; 26 April 2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                    One of the worst boot managers I know.
                    I kinda like it. It has a steep learning curve, but it is very modular and represents about a right combo of utility, robustness and power.
                    It has access to graphics and most facilities one expects to be available in kernel etc.

WRT to initrd update support etc, i feel this might be too much to expect from a bootloader. But it has a good infrastructure that one can use to implement wanted extra bells and whistles. Heck, AFAIK it can even boot frm RAID etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

there's only so many developers doing Grub2, but even systemd has a Boot manager which may eventually superseede grub2 in Fedora . ( that im unsure of )
                      Sure that's always a factor.
                      But is a boot loader that big of an undertaking? I thought it was one of the smallest pieces of software in Linux...

Comment

Working...
                      X