• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
    *gentoo user internal screaming*
    Not every shit that compile is good.

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    You seem to be a special kind of moron.
    That is pleonasm, since morons are already special You see we can optimize this and compile these words in half time or to be 50% faster

Debian users will use the Debian binary, Ubuntu users the Ubuntu binary, Arch users the Arch binary, ... . It still has to be compiled only once per distro and only by the distro developers. Or are you seriously demanding that software developers now have to provide a binary for each and every system out there? or is it just systemd developers that you want impose that special burden on?
    Or how about.. that was just a comment to specific question
    Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Long gone are the days penguin people hated on Windows / Microsoft it seems... sometimes I wonder if the anti-systemd crowd are Microsoft agents in disguise.
      I can't get why people turns absolutely insane everytime systemd is mentioned , even when it has absolutely ZIP ZERO to do with the functinallity systemd provides!!!!! AARGH!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

You seem to be a special kind of moron. Debian users will use the Debian binary, Ubuntu users the Ubuntu binary, Arch users the Arch binary, ... . It still has to be compiled only once per distro and only by the distro developers. Or are you seriously demanding that software developers now have to provide a binary for each and every system out there? or is it just systemd developers that you want impose that special burden on?
        Unless, of course, you happen to run a source based distro with systemd, but then whining about having to build something from source would be more than weird.
        The guy was saying that since no binaries come from systemd developers, each distro is responsible for building from source. With frequent releases that's a lot of builds and that's where faster builds come into play.
        But that flew right over your head.

Comment

Meh, it's definitely faster but I still kinda find it's UI somewhat difficult to use or perhaps my brain is just rotten by ./configure --prefix=/usr --other-flags && make && sudo make install.
          On meson you need to meson build --prefix && mesonconfig -D flag=val -D flag=val build && ninja -C build && ninja -C build install.

I think this still needs to be simplified somewhat, for example by automatically attempting to create "build" dir if it wasn't given and preferably having one command "meson" doing everything without the need to use meson,mesonconfig and ninja. Also, cmake style CLI/ncurses alternative to meson config would be rather awesome. It's quite possible that these things are configurable somewhere, I just haven't found them. Kinda reminds me of awkwardness that was git in 2008, but git has came a long way since.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
            On meson you need to meson build --prefix && mesonconfig -D flag=val -D flag=val build && ninja -C build && ninja -C build install.
            You can skip the mesonconfig step here, just pass the -Dfoo=bar bits directly to meson along with the --prefix.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Meh, it's definitely faster but I still kinda find it's UI somewhat difficult to use or perhaps my brain is just rotten by ./configure --prefix=/usr --other-flags && make && sudo make install.

I think this still needs to be simplified somewhat, for example by automatically attempting to create "build" dir if it wasn't given and preferably having one command "meson" doing everything without the need to use meson,mesonconfig and ninja. Also, cmake style CLI/ncurses alternative to meson config would be rather awesome. It's quite possible that these things are configurable somewhere, I just haven't found them. Kinda reminds me of awkwardness that was git in 2008, but git has came a long way since.
              meson --prefix=/location && ninja && sudo ninja install

That's how I compile software with Meson. Just as easy as with autotools. Even easier as you only have to run meson --prefix=/location once if you're compiling in the same build dir (for example, if you're building an app cloned from git sources).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The guy was saying that since no binaries come from systemd developers, each distro is responsible for building from source. With frequent releases that's a lot of builds and that's where faster builds come into play.
                Please read his other comments. This is not at all what he meant. He specifically said that users should use the fastest build system, but it is developers that build systemd for the distros, not users. Again, unless you are using a source based distro.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

And since when did distributions package each and every release from a project?

Comment

Meson > Cmake

Comment

Working...
                    X