Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 OpenCL vs. NVIDIA Shows Problems

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 OpenCL vs. NVIDIA Shows Problems

Last week I began posting a number of AMD Radeon RX 580 Linux benchmarks but not covered so far has been the OpenCL compute performance considering the Clover-based compute stack isn't good enough for benchmarking and is basically unmaintained these days by AMD. Meanwhile, their ROCm stack is still being brought up and is not yet fully-opened nor optimized yet for performance. Thus for those with desktop cards looking for basic OpenCL support are left with the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver with its closed-source OpenCL driver. In this article are some fresh OpenCL benchmarks of AMDGPU-PRO on the RX 580 and other Radeon GPUs compared to NVIDIA with its Linux OpenCL driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
    For our latest Linux OpenCL GPGPU comparison are tests on the AMD Radeon side of the RX 480, RX 590, and R9 Fury.
    590 should be 580.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 25 April 2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Considering Mesa is stuck at OpenCL 1.1 making it DOA for Blender 2.79 and beyond, and Pro is stuck at barely 1.2 it's not surprising you aren't seeing a mature OpenCL stack yet on Linux from AMD.

Until 2.0 arrives OpenCL tests, are useless.

Comment

The system was running Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64; with AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 the kernel was downgraded to Linux 4.8 for compatibility with the DKMS driver.
        Probably no one uses it on unsupported distro, since it is broken .

edit: of course i don't claim it would work even on supported one, but at least if it does not work there it wouldn't work anywhere else i think
        Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Probably no one uses it on unsupported distro, since it is broken .

edit: of course i don't claim it would work even on supported one, but at least if it does not work there it wouldn't work anywhere else i think
          Actually, there are some people trying to use it, e.g. on arch we have this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

However, what you say (and the comments suggest that too) is sad but true. While blender cycles and luxrender seem to work without problems, Einstein or ethminer freeze the entire desktop. So I installed a supported Ubuntu version and wondered that the exact same problems apply there too. The mileage varies with different driver versions, though. Some freeze and others "only" create invalid results (which is just as bad, considering that you have your machine running for hours to create an output and then it's garbage).

But the biggest problem is that there is no bug tracker, creating the feeling of being left alone. And that's for a driver stack that claims enterprise requirements?

BTW: It's funny that cycles and luxrender/luxmark might be the only applications that actually work and deliver expected performance. However, they are not in Michael's benchmark selection
          Last edited by juno; 25 April 2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Good thing they're PRO drivers intended for using with, well, stuff like these...

Comment

This is why I recently bought a NVIDIA GTX 1060. What is Open Source good for, when both, the open source driver and the blob driver from AMD just suck?!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                This is why I recently bought a NVIDIA GTX 1060. What is Open Source good for, when both, the open source driver and the blob driver from AMD just suck?!
                Opensource is good because you can compile it when you are bored because it does not work

Also if more bloat that is the better and more unmatched dependices it have the better and that is best to be done on slow enough machine because your blood pressure would have more chance to came back to normal

So at least that is a point since it is good for your health, because if everything works and you overplayed with something so much and nothing crashes... that is not good, perfect things are not good for health
                Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  This is why I recently bought a NVIDIA GTX 1060. What is AMD good for, when both, the open source driver and the blob driver from AMD just suck?!
                  Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Fixed.
                    Reviewed-by: dungeon <[email protected]>
                    Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X