No announcement yet.

Intel Optane Memory Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't they already try something like this with Intel Turbo Memory? Wasn't it a total flop? If I recall correctly Linus thought it was such a terrible idea he didn't allow drivers to be included to support it.

Comment

This is just a SSD cache to "expand" normal magnetic HD in a "cheap" way for those with big disks that can't be replaced by SSD...
      All other people should buy a real SSD instead!

Trying this on SSD disks, you will get only small (if any) performance increase

Comment

Wow, after all the hype this is incredibly disappointing. A tiny amount of memory for an outrageous price that's only suitable as a hard disk cache? Sheesh. You know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true, it is.

Comment

Oh great here come the tinfoil hats again, thinking Intel actually cares about your personal data...

And yes, getting Optane is stupid if you use SSDs. It's beneficial to those who have several terabytes worth of HDDs, where it offers close to SSD performance but at a much lower price. That being said, I'd say this is really only worth considering if you have a minimum of 2TB of data.

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post
            This is just a SSD cache to "expand" normal magnetic HD in a "cheap" way for those with big disks that can't be replaced by SSD...
            All other people should buy a real SSD instead!
            Damn, I read "big dicks" instead of "big disks", it was so much funnier like that.

Comment

a niche product
              3d xpoint can be good for ultra high-end ssd tough

Comment

It appears the (somewhat recent) traditional desktop setup with a decent CPU, much, fast RAM and an SSD might still be the typical way to go.

Comment

A bit disappointing imho, but it's just a first iteration. How many of us were blown away by the first iteration of SSDs?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    Such a picture should have never been posted, and if posted it shouldn't have been displayed to the public without hiding it behind a warning message.
                    Considering Michael himself isn't discretionary (either when quoting people like Linus or when expressing himself in his own articles), I don't think your suggestion bears much weight here. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's important to take note of the type of community you're in.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                      Such a picture should have never been posted, and if posted it shouldn't have been displayed to the public without hiding it behind a warning message.
                      ????? It's not NSFW material.

Comment

Working...
                      X