61 New Patches Allow OpenGL 4.5 For Radeon RX Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    I don't think so since the Radeon 520 is GCN 1 Southern Iland hardware, maybe it's Oland/Hainan, so there's an GCN 1 part as the lowest spec part of the 500-series.
    Also as an linux user what difference would it make if it would become legacy for open source driver users?
    We're still waiting for full OpenGL support in r600?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      We're still waiting for full OpenGL support in r600?
      I own Ni hardware as well and while there isn't full OpenGL support it will run most games anyway, the only game i tried that didn't work because of missing OpenGL extensions was alien isolation since it needs ARB_compute_shader to render correctly.
      I do have other games that doesn't render correctly with r600 but that is caused by bugs and not missing extensions.

Comment

A good portion of the reason that R600 hardware is missing GL 4.0+ is because only certain evergreen cards, and none of the NI cards supported hardware double-precision/fp64. The catalyst drivers for those cards actually emulates the fp64 support, which is what Mesa will have to do if we want to expose GL 4.0+ properly.

Take a look at the work that Elie Turner did for their GSoC project for libsoftfloat, and is continuing for Collabora. The work was originally glsl emulation of fp64 operations, and is also being converted over to NIR for intel hardware. I'd be surprised if the GLSL version didn't make it into mesa at some point for R600 and other non-NIR hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          A good portion of the reason that R600 hardware is missing GL 4.0+ is because only certain evergreen cards, and none of the NI cards supported hardware double-precision/fp64.
          That's wrong since my Aruba NI hardware supports fp64 in hardware and shows expose it self as OpenGL4.1.
          Also Cayman supports hw fp64.
          Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 April 2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            I don't think so since the Radeon 520 is GCN 1 Southern Island hardware, maybe it's Oland/Hainan, so there's an GCN 1 part as the lowest spec part of the 500-series.
            Looking at that page, what is "AMD Vulkan™ Graphics API"? The AMD Vulkan is the part I find funny. This can be found under Features at the bottom of the page.

Btw, what is the lowest cost and/or lowest power AMD graphics card (PCI-E) that can be bought new nowadays? I'm just looking for a low cost card for a project of mine and low power (15 W max. would be perfect, but higher can be tolerated) is fairly important.
            Last edited by Tomin; 24 April 2017, 02:40 PM. Reason: part -> graphics card

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Looking at that page, what is "AMD Vulkan™ Graphics API"? The AMD Vulkan is the part I find funny. This can be found under Features at the bottom of the page.

Btw, what is the lowest cost and/or lowest power AMD part that can be bought new nowadays? I'm just looking for a low cost card for a project of mine and low power (15 W max. would be perfect, but higher can be tolerated) is fairly important.
              I believe some AM1 APU. I have a Athlon in this socket and it is rated at 25W, but I remember that there is some part below it, maybe in the 15W range you want.

Also, you maybe have the possibility of buying some laptop motherboard with some AMD APU soldered in. I believe there are some 15W laptop APUs much more faster than the AM1 APUs available.

Comment

That's not AMD at all. AMD is the one that'll move GCN1 to legacy state soon, to boost Vega/RX 500 sales. You'll see.
                Even if they would do that, that would be no problem. All the support is upstream, so updating a kernel or X or Mesa won't do anything bad, it' just work. This is not windows. This ist not amd- or nvidia-blob-land.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I believe some AM1 APU. I have a Athlon in this socket and it is rated at 25W, but I remember that there is some part below it, maybe in the 15W range you want.

Also, you maybe have the possibility of buying some laptop motherboard with some AMD APU soldered in. I believe there are some 15W laptop APUs much more faster than the AM1 APUs available.
                  Forgot to define that I need a graphics card (PCI-E) not an APU. My mistake. I probably thought that since the message I quoted was about a graphics card, AMD part would mean a AMD graphics card and not an APU.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    I'm not sure if a lack of OpenGL 4.5 in Mesa 17.1 is actually relevant when non-headless support isn't going to come into AMDGPU until 4.13 (at the earliest) due to DC/DAL. By the time DC/DAL has been merged I'm pretty sure 17.2 will be out.
                    Yes, but when I buy my sweet new Vega and stare at my blank monitor, I'll know, deep down inside, that it has OpenGL 4.5 support. When I imagine myself playing games on it, I'll imagine them in OpenGL 4.5.

Comment

I'm actually getting kind of excited by Vega. It's pretty clear this is a big architectural update. Probably the biggest since GCN1 came out.

Comment

Working...
                      X