openSUSE Leap 15 Will Succeed 42.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Oh, then plese also tell the OpenSUSE chairman that he's wrong and should stop using Gnome with it.
    This does not counter what I posted. He can choose whatever, even to stay on Windows, and OpenSUSE would still have KDE as main DE.

Now, since you seem to think that "default DE" means something far more strict than it really does, I'll pull up Debian. Default or official DE in Debian is GNOME 3. Does this mean people on Debian must use it? No.

Does this mean that most people on Debian even know that the Debian's official DE is GNOME 3? Of course not.

Comment

Oh, then plese also tell the OpenSUSE chairman that he's wrong and should stop using Gnome with it.
      He can tell me whatever he wants, I sure as hell won't give up the use of my favourite desktop environment

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Does this mean that most people on Debian even know that the Debian's official DE is GNOME 3? Of course not.
        "main desktop" means favored desktop, which is not the case regarding OpenSUSE. It's the default setting, yes.
        That doesn't however mean it would be better tested against bugs etc. than Gnome. In Tumbleweed, both Gnome and KDE usually get updated as fast as possible. For example Gnome 3.24 is rolled out to TW users already for weeks, while it's still in testing repo for Arch (and showed up quite late even there).

Comment

"main desktop" means favored desktop, which is not the case regarding OpenSUSE. It's the default setting, yes.
          That doesn't however mean it would be better tested against bugs etc. than Gnome. In Tumbleweed, both Gnome and KDE usually get updated as fast as possible. For example Gnome 3.24 is rolled out to TW users already for weeks, while it's still in testing repo for Arch (and showed up quite late even there).
          By setting one as the default, it is favoring that one.

Comment

There is some logic in that definition, but I don't think it actually makes sense.

Comment

What's wrong with Steam on OpenSUSE? Here on Leap all is fine.
              I'm also on Leap 42.2 + kernel:stable (for rx480 support) + X11:Xorg (for MESA 17.0.4).
              How do you start steam? (export some settings?)
              How do you start games? Which ones?
              When I start steam (just "steam" at a konsole) I can't start games by clicking in the steam gui. I just tested Broforce, Shadow Warrior, Tomb Raider, Dota2, Hitman. all get a "Game removed" in the steam output after crashing.
              When starting the games from their folder in their own konsole, some of them work (Hitman for example still crashes).
              If I find the time, I will file bug reports...

Deus Ex can not work correctly with Leap 42.2 because llvm 3.9 is required. In Leap 42.2 llvm 3.8 is used, so you only get funny colors.

This is what I mean with poor steam and gaming support in Suse.
              But, if there is a way to get it working with my rx480 - please tell me!

Cheers,
              mibo

Comment

Well, I'm glad for this change. Makes it easier to not have to do -30 maths, and it's definitely right to sync up version numbers since openSUSE is now built upon SLE. The question, however, is what got into SUSE to jump SLE versions like that?

Comment

Wrong, the installer defaults to KDE and then lets you choose other stuff since a long time https://lwn.net/Articles/347859/
                  Only in that that's the radio button that checked by default, you can switch with a single click. From the link you posted:
                  We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal citizens within the openSUSE Project, and this will not have any impact on the quality of the GNOME desktop within openSUSE. GNOME will continue to be offered as a top- level installation choice, and we will continue to strive to provide the best GNOME and KDE desktop experience.

Comment

Hopefully the backwards jump won't cause too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                      I'm also on Leap 42.2 + kernel:stable (for rx480 support) + X11:Xorg (for MESA 17.0.4).
                      Works fine for me under Tumbleweed.

How do you start steam? (export some settings?)
                      Application launcher -> steam

How do you start games? Which ones?
                      Click "Axiom Verge", then the "Play" button. Also worked for: La-Mulana, Deponia, and Grow Home.

Deus Ex can not work correctly with Leap 42.2 because llvm 3.9 is required. In Leap 42.2 llvm 3.8 is used, so you only get funny colors.
                      I hardly think having a particular compiler version is "poor steam and gaming support". LLVM 3.9 wasn't even packaged until after the Leap 42.2 package freeze because there were a ton of issues getting it to build.
                      Last edited by TheBlackCat; 24 April 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X