Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Release Schedule Published

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Release Schedule Published

In addition to the Ubuntu 17.10 codename of Artful Aardvark coming out this week, the release schedule for this next Ubuntu Linux development cycle has also been published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What will happen to LightDM and Unity-Greeter?
    Will those stay or get ditched along with Unity in favor of GDM?

Comment

And what about the compatibility between the Nvidia binary driver and Wayland? Will that be available on time for the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
        And what about the compatibility between the Nvidia binary driver and Wayland? Will that be available on time for the switch?
        GNOME Shell / Mutter already has EGL Streams support.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          What will happen to LightDM and Unity-Greeter?
          Will those stay or get ditched along with Unity in favor of GDM?
          unity-greeter is getting ditched. LightDM vs GDM is still getting decided.
          Writing a GDM greeter to lightdm is probably less work than adding missing features to GDM, also other flavors are using lightdm so I would place my bet on it sticking. But then there's also the option of just dropping the features lightdm provides which would be even less work so we'll have to see what happens.

Comment

Does the Nvidia driver on Gnome Wayland support 3D acceleration in XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              Does the Nvidia driver on Gnome Wayland support 3D acceleration in XWayland?
              No and I haven't heard anything regarding this from them in years.

If we can't run our DDX, we don't have a path to support GLX direct rendering under Wayland. ...

This was the last time they publically even talked about Xwayland afaik.

Comment

The new experimental installer for servers has just been anounced.

Images for testing available!

Comment

The new experimental installer for servers has just been anounced.

Images for testing available!

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

unity-greeter is getting ditched. LightDM vs GDM is still getting decided.
                    Writing a GDM greeter to lightdm is probably less work than adding missing features to GDM, also other flavors are using lightdm so I would place my bet on it sticking. But then there's also the option of just dropping the features lightdm provides which would be even less work so we'll have to see what happens.
                    Fair enough. One question though: Mark said that he wanted to bring the full, stock GNOME experience. But how can he bring a stock GNOME experience without GDM? 'Cause GDM is part of stock GNOME...

Comment

Working...
                    X