Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ I/O Scheduler Queued For Linux 4.12

Phoronix: BFQ I/O Scheduler Queued For Linux 4.12

It looks like with the upcoming Linux 4.12 kernel cycle we will finally see the BFQ I/O scheduler merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. I've been using this for years now, and it's been quite good at preventing stalls and freezes when copying huge files on my SSD-less system.

Comment

Woah, did hell freeze over or something? Finally!

Comment

OMG finally!!! 2017 might be the year of Linux Desktop. Bye bye skipping sound and mouse lag while there's 100% IO load on simple usb/sdcard device. Linus might get along with Con again.

Edit: ahh wait, no word of BFS/MuQSS getting merged, bummer...
        Last edited by hax0r; 20 April 2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

For those in the know: as someone who primarily uses his desktop system (running on an SSD with a mechanical HDD for extra data) for gaming and some web development stuff on the side, is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            For those in the know: as someone who primarily uses his desktop system (running on an SSD with a mechanical HDD for extra data) for gaming and some web development stuff on the side, is it worth it?
            Its not not worth it.

Comment

And here I wonder when Debian will finish with 9.0 so I can try out 4.10.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                Prolly the same setup I have in a work machine (dual-SSDs, dual-HDs, PhenomII w/R7-370) that also has two BDs that is used daily for video work (KDenlive and ffmpeg) and more than a few rips/day. The machine is also used for some dev work, mostly KDevelop and QTCreator and Audacity (ripping vinyl, which is not without little issues). Occasionally, while some of this is going on, I will do some preview work on the second monitor using MPV...I never game on this machine.

And, this machine stays relatively up-to-date with TumbleWeed (Plasma5), using Tiwai's repo for the bfq.ko. Oh yeah, and one of the HDs is NTFS.

And the diff I notice? Video playback doesn't stutter if I have a rip going or if building something or running an encode. GUI *never* stalls. I know, it's weird.

In the end, workload matters.

Comment

I use ssd/hdd combo on my machine i moved to blkmq sometime back and enabled it on all layers dm/scsi. i found it to perform better than bfq at least for this use case
                  Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 21 April 2017, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                    I use ssd/hdd combo on my machine i moved to blkmq sometime back and enabled it on all layers dm/scsi. i found it to perform better than bfq at least for this use case
                    Same here. I didn't use bfq, but enabling blkmq helps cfq a lot. Performs much better than Win7.

Comment

Working...
                    X