Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7 Has Been Branched, GCC 8.0 Now On Master

Phoronix: GCC 7 Has Been Branched, GCC 8.0 Now On Master

The GCC 7 mainline code-base hit the important milestone today of having zero P1 regressions -- issues of the highest priority -- and as such they branched the GCC7 code-base and GCC 7.1 RC1 is then being announced later this week as they prepare for this first stable release of GCC 7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay. Time to watch for fun stuff.

Comment

Gentoo stable just moved to gcc5 and for unstable GCC6 has to be unmasked. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-devel/gcc

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        Gentoo stable just moved to gcc5 and for unstable GCC6 has to be unmasked. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-devel/gcc
        I have all my stuff compiled with 6.3.0+ latest isl since it came out.

Will try 7 as soon as it becomes available.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

I have all my stuff compiled with 6.3.0+ latest isl since it came out.
          Does graphite actually make a difference? Last time I tried, graphite on mesa caused an ICE,
          and I didn't really notice any improvements, my gut feeling was to the contrary.
          And there's apparently noone in gcc-land that has a good understanding of graphite to
          fix the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Does graphite actually make a difference? Last time I tried, graphite on mesa caused an ICE,
            and I didn't really notice any improvements, my gut feeling was to the contrary.
            And there's apparently noone in gcc-land that has a good understanding of graphite to
            fix the bugs.

Don't know about the difference, didn't care to measure it. I have compiled mesa with gcc-6.3.0+isl-0.18 ( now I have isl-git) with
            flto and graphite optimisations. Will post flags later.

Comment

OK, I've just recompiled it. I've recompiled mesa-9999 ( from git repo ) with gcc-6.3.0+isl-9999 (=isl-0.18 ebuild that I've tweaked so that it uses isl-git repo).

CFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread"
              CXXFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread -fpermissive"
              LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O -O3 -pthread -lpthread -march=native -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-flto -Wl,--as-needed -ffat-lto-objects -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

Comment

Got 99 regressions but P1 aint' one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  OK, I've just recompiled it. I've recompiled mesa-9999 ( from git repo ) with gcc-6.3.0+isl-9999 (=isl-0.18 ebuild that I've tweaked so that it uses isl-git repo).

CFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread"
                  CXXFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread -fpermissive"
                  LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O -O3 -pthread -lpthread -march=native -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-flto -Wl,--as-needed -ffat-lto-objects -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

Has mesa become any faster with graphite enabled? I did notice a slight performance improvement with the classic software renderer on a MIPS32 target: glxgears went from 7 to 12 fps due to LTO alone.

Also, the ICE I mentioned is in ffmpeg-9999, not mesa

Comment

WRT to mesa speed, didn't check. It was noticeably faster with flto and since I need aggressive optimisations for flto I thought graphite couldn't hurt, so I added it.

You mentioned MIPS32. Which machine have you compiled this for ?

Comment

Working...
                    X