No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen DDR4 Memory Scaling Tests On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with the Asus Prime B350M-A around? From what I read the latest BIOS version from March 24 (V. 0509) still doesn't solve the memory issues. I didn't upgrade, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      The AB350 Pro4 works really well but it's not sure whether ECC really works with B350 chipsets. For ECC the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 offers also an onboard debug led and 12 CPU phases for a very nice price. The overall PCB quality of these boards is pretty much the same, very nice but don't go cheaper.
      Ooh, from BIOS screenshot the Fatal1ty has memory scrubbing options and there is a "BIOS PSP support" option too (is that about kinda-disabling PSP?) https://be.hardware.info/reviews/726...os-screenshots

Comment

I don't really know what PSP is - but officially ASRock said that every board supports ECC. But there are some confusions about my AB350 Pro4 and basically all B350- Boards currently. What exactly happens is that the EDAC driver is loaded in my case but on every memory controller bank it sais: 0MB. In the newest Bios version it is even completely disabled, there isn't even the scrub time option in the Bios when I could see right.
        However on the ASRock X370- Boards around 170€(you might convert this to your currency) it shows XXXXMB and there are authentic proofs that it also practically works.

I have contacted ASRock about the ECC support of AB350 Pro4 and will see how it turns out. They are examining the issue.

Edit: It looks like ECC is functional, even when DMESG shows 0MB. It also happens on X370- Boards.

I hope that ASRock will re-enable ECC in newer bios versions of their B350- Boards.
        Last edited by oooverclocker; 31 March 2017, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Well i don't think it is design flaw and i wouldn't put GPU there, as third slot is not full one - it is 2.0 only, work at max 4X mode and share bandwidth with PCIeX1es...
          https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PR...pecifications/
          It is sufficient to be used with gpu to drive kodi on separate Xserver.
          Some could use it for linux desktop while using faster gpu in PCIe 3.0 x16 mode for Winconsole10

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep, I have had good experiences with Asus in the past as well, but I'm probably an easier customer than some because I haven't had time to do anything other than plug the parts in and run them at stock speeds.
            Yeah, anything more than 2666 isn't by JEDEC anyway... so at random 2133 to 2666 customers like you shouldn't have a problem

According to Asus's validated (and no pain ) list here fastest is one Corsair's kit:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...Memory_QVL.pdf

That should be this one, rated at 3600 should work at 3200 on Ryzen:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge.../dp/B01AKWSUOU

Basically either that or that mentioned G.Skill which wear designed for Ryzen, should be no pain fastest choice:

Buy G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / B350 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Last edited by dungeon; 30 March 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Looks like my B350 board may be dead... That system doesn't want to POST anymore.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                What's one of the better motherboards/vendors to go with for Ryzen right now?
                Gigabyte

Comment

Asus is highly overrated. Bought way too many boards with x16 slots that only worked with GPUs and not my SAS controllers. Had a P8P67 Pro with that problem which they eventually fixed with a BIOS update after more than a year. Then I went to a Maximus Hero Z87 which brought the same problem back. Additionally had older ones from the Core 2 Duo with the same issue. Never had that issue on any ASRock or Gigabyte boards. Not sure why people continue to think that Asus is good. It's not and hasn't been for a long time. They also tried to charge me money to fix my month-old board which had a non-working SATA controller (the third-party one, not the chipset one). I didn't break it, and I shipped it out immediately, and they were tough to get ahold of, took several calls, were slow, and I ended up needing to threaten to dispute their charge with my credit card company. They backtracked on charging me because they knew they'd lose that dispute.

As for the article here... darn, I was hoping the results would be better. But I suppose memory bandwidth just isn't an issue with many types of programs.
                  Last edited by Holograph; 30 March 2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                    Not sure why people continue to think that Asus is good.
                    Asus is probably best one who even wanna speak anything with you about Linux... So saying that Asus is garbage to me is equal to saying that Linux is garbage

He, he, that is why... try to speak with that Gigabyte about Linux and enjoy slamming door right at your nose

Comment

Holograph
                      I'm inclined to agree, though garbage is a bit strong of a word. To me, Asus is like the General Motors of PCs - they built up a great reputation when they first started, but despite the drop in quality over the years, people still hold onto their initial impressions. I don't remember the last time I encountered an Asus motherboard that I liked (or at least thought was better than competing boards). It seems they dump all their R&D resources into their top-tier Intel boards and then slack off with everything else. The way I see it, I'm sure ASRock separated from Asus for a reason.

EDIT:
                      dungeon
                      In my experience, Asus is equally adamant about not supporting Linux as Gigabyte. Most of Asus' products make it very clear they have no Linux support. The major difference is Asus is often contracted by companies like Dell to make their motherboards. Since Dell is semi Linux-friendly, Asus is too by association. Not that that's so great either, because these are the real crappy boards that use cheap components and lack many features. Most Asus boards that aren't related to OEM contracts are not Linux-friendly.

Personally, I'm not aware of any mobo brand that is Linux-friendly.
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 30 March 2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X