Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks & Trying Out DragonFlyBSD 4.8

Phoronix: Benchmarks & Trying Out DragonFlyBSD 4.8

With DragonFlyBSD 4.8 making its debut yesterday, I was excited to give this updated BSD operating system a try now that it has UEFI support and some performance improvements. Here are some early benchmark results of DragonFlyBSD 4.8 compared to 4.6 and Intel's Clear Linux for some additional reference points.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, I don't think comparing DragonFlyBSD with Clear Linux is good, because most users don't use such highly optimized Linux distributions. Nevertheless, it's astonishing how well DragonFly BSD performed!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Actually, I don't think comparing DragonFlyBSD with Clear Linux is good, because most users don't use such highly optimized Linux distributions. Nevertheless, it's astonishing how well DragonFly BSD performed!
      As said in the other article, other Linux and BSDs are coming. Clear was just what I had running on that system yesterday prior to downloading DFly so I used that.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It shouldnt be that big of a surprise, BSD has been around a long time.

Comment

Yeah, thanks to older GCC.

Comment

I was wondering if Michael / Phoronix has some way to do an automated test of user latency. From mouse click to screen draw for example, or mouse click to audio output, or key stroke to font glyph.

These kinds of tests would be better for interactive desktop systems like Dragonfly. Or Windows 10 or Haiku for that matter.

I believe some people have played around building test rigs with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino, solenoids for simulating a finger press and cameras for recording screen changes. Of course there's the building it, calibrating it to account for its own latency, etc.

Comment

Hmm. I was under the impression that Dragonfly was a desktop focused BSD but their web site doesn't claim that anywhere. I must have them confused with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                Hmm. I was under the impression that Dragonfly was a desktop focused BSD but their web site doesn't claim that anywhere. I must have them confused with someone else.
                Besides TrueOS (former PC-BSD), I don't think any *BSD are really/seriously focused towards desktop. There is a nice threads on that topic here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/49653/ that explains pretty well why. It's sad, but it's deeply true.

Back to the topic, thanks for comparing this new release of Dragonfly with Clear. It's interesting to see how well this particular BSD beast is well optimized.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  You must be thinking of PC-BSD/TrueOS or potentially GhostBSD.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post

Besides TrueOS (former PC-BSD), I don't think any *BSD are really/seriously focused towards desktop. There is a nice threads on that topic here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/49653/ that explains pretty well why. It's sad, but it's deeply true.
                    This is misleading. That FreeBSD-related link has nothing to do with the FreeBSD "desktop" experience.

{CUDA, OpenCL} gpu/heterogeneous-based computing technologies are not required for the "desktop" experience. They may enhance this experience but are not necessary. Years/decades ago we had an adequate "desktop" experience with a variety of commercial/open-source operating systems without the existence of {CUDA, OpenCL}-supported hardware.

The FreeBSD handbook and links such as

A guide to a full-featured modern desktop FreeBSD installation

help the user to configure FreeBSD for a more optimal desktop/workstation experience.
                    As is, the default "FreeBSD OS install" represents a large step towards a suitable "default" desktop.
                    The fun comes later if you wish to further enhance the installed FreeBSD OS for a more optimal usage scenario;
                    be it for the "desktop", for the "workstation", etc.

PC-BSD is a layer above FreeBSD, feels more bloated than mean-lean-raw-FreeBSD.
                    I feel PC-BSD hides too much FreeBSD detail to the point that you're disconnected from the OS.
                    Knowing aspects of raw FreeBSD OS is worthwhile.

My "FreeBSD 11" box is setup as a "C++ programmer's power-house" box, very optimal for my C++-based software development.
                    Due to flexibility and bloat-free-ness of open-source operating systems my setup has a much more efficient workflow as compared with the one-size-fits-all paradigm in Windows/OSX operating systems.

My experiences with FreeBSD is evidence that it's "deeply true" that FreeBSD can be an effective environment for "desktop" or "workstation" usage scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                    X